Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sweetbrair

Abu 6500-Replace bearings with bushings?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I've heard of guys replacing the spool bearings with bushings on the Abu's, instead of the other way around. They claim its less maintenance and cheaper. Smart move? Will casting distance be much less? I dont cast across the pond anyway. I'm all for something that I don't have to worry too much about - unlike my Stradic.

I've had some older 6000, and even some new 6500's with bushings. I'm telling ya, a polished and oiled bushing will get ya some distance. Will ya break records? Probably not, but you'll get to where ya need to be.

I used older 6000's, with bushings, that I could not backlash, for the life of me.

smile.gif

ABU sell a heavy duty pike jerkbait reel (5601C-JB) that has spool bushings.

They work just fine, as long as you're not trying to break any distance records.

Having said that, ball bearings aren't too much maintenance anyway, just keep the reel clean & a drop of oil occasionally.

View PostStock Abu bearings are sealed and grease packed. So they are really 0 maint.

FWIW, all Abu bearings I've ever serviced have only been shielded, not sealed, and definitely not packed with grease. smile.gif

Abu bearings must be a different animal????? All bearings require upkeep. If they are grease packed they won't cast. If they are sealed they will not accept oil. Zero maintanence is not reality.

Stevesmile.gif

View PostFWIW, all Abu bearings I've ever serviced have only been shielded, not sealed, and definitely not packed with grease. smile.gif

Ok, shielded not sealed. Mis spoke myself. That being said, even shielded how much do you think will pass the shield when trying to reoil? Not much.

View Posteven shielded how much do you think will pass the shield when trying to reoil? Not much.

Very little unless you do what others do and that is remove the bearing and soak it in oil. Some folks heat the oil. The air in the bearings expands (bubbles out) and when it cools the oil is sucked back in.

I just remove one shield as I wrote earlier. It makes oiling easy and gives water a way to escape,

OTOH, even with shields, water does not seem to have a problem getting in. headscratch.gif

View PostAirdown,

Spin the bearing on a pencil or chop stick before and after oiling, and you will see how much it slows down. It does slow down.

Stevesmile.gif

Have to agree here. I add a drop at most to clean bearings and it still slows down considerably.