Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishdoctor

Favorite offshore set up?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Did all the searches already. Just curious as to what rod/reel combo you guys recommend or like for offshore sea bass/other stuff trips (60 to 80 mile wrecks). Also rig wise, when do you set up for sea bass and when for cod/pollock or do you combine a rig, switch off, see whats coming up. What rigs/jigs, etc do you prefer?

Thanks.

View PostDid all the searches already. Just curious as to what rod/reel combo you guys recommend or like for offshore sea bass/other stuff trips (60 to 80 mile wrecks). Also rig wise, when do you set up for sea bass and when for cod/pollock or do you combine a rig, switch off, see whats coming up. What rigs/jigs, etc do you prefer?

Thanks.

searched ? Shirley you must be kidding me

f7nuZ825nxE

No, not kidding, and not Shirley. cwm27.gif

I understand the basics of a heavy rod up to 20 ounce sinkers and a 4/0 reel and a low hook and a high hook.

Just wanted to see what people liked.

As far as rods go it depends on what you like but yes one factor is it should handle 14,16 easily but be able to handle 20's. I like a 7 1/2'-8' rod especially on PB's a 7-7 1/2 on a charter. As far a reel I use a Ocea jigger 3000 with a 5/1 ratio but I really like 2 speeds for deep drops. (Accurate 870) spooled with minimum 300yds of 55-70lb braid. The 50,55 for seabass and the 70 if targeting cod in deepwater. Rigging is up to you, for offshore sea bass I use 4 dropper loops with 4"squids and 5,6/0 Gami octopus hooks with my sinker on the bottom.

Or a 4' piece of mono swivel at one end a dropper loop about 6inches down with a plain baitholder and a quick snap on the other end for a jig.

Back to the rod and reel it really depends on your budget if your not looking to break the bank go buy a 7 or 8' heavy ugly stik and a 40 Saltist spooled up with 65lb suffix or daiwa braid, upgrade the drags for 12 bucks and your golden. Probably all for under 350!

View Post

Back to the rod and reel it really depends on your budget if your not looking to break the bank go buy a 7 or 8' heavy ugly stik and a 40 Saltist spooled up with 65lb suffix or daiwa braid, upgrade the drags for 12 bucks and your golden. Probably all for under 350!

That's your best bet right there. You don't need a custom rod or anything special for seabass. An Ugly Stick will do you just fine, and you don't need to worry about beating it up or breaking the tip on a "high stick" swinging in doggies (or triple header bass biggrin.gif ) on a party boat. A Saltist 30 or 40 (slower speed version) is PERFECT for this fishing. There have been a bunch of threads recently on this subject if you're looking for more imput. Just remember, this is Seabass fishing, it's not rocket science..