Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sprinkles

Braided line diameters

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone has actually taken measurements (mm/in) of braided lines? PP/Suffix Performance/TuffLine/etc....

I'm actually looking for a thin braid that will break at least at 10lb. I've heard the 5lb PP is actually pretty strong, but still not the thin diameter they claim.

Really, it's all about the dia. here.....

Any info?

Most of the braids list an equivalent mono/lb test diameter on the spools and on the websites. Not sure how accurate they are.

That's exactly why I put this up on the boards. I am trying to find out just how far off they really are.

I actually wanted to test it myself, but was unsure of the best way to do so. I was hoping to make some cuttings of lines and then proceed to measure them. However, I don't know what tool would be the best out there for the job. I want to be careful since "squishing" the line will give skewed results, and that flattening out will make for wrong info.

I know there are gross exagerations when it comes to lines, mono, braid, or whatever else.

I was hoping to find someone who has had the same concerns, and has found the answers.....? Anyone...Anyone...? Bueller?....Bueller?

the "mono equivelant" is usually pretty off.

10 pound power pro lists it as 2lb mono equivelant but its equal to trilene 4lb

20 pound lists as 8 pound equivelant but its closer to 10-12

View Postthe "mono equivelant" is usually pretty off.

10 pound power pro lists it as 2lb mono equivelant but its equal to trilene 4lb

20 pound lists as 8 pound equivelant but its closer to 10-12

And here is where it gets even more confusing.. Which Trilene? XL, XT, Bigame will all have different diameters.. 10 # XT breaks @ 14# .. 15# Big Game breaks @ 20#.. so isn't it really 20# line in a 15# box? there really is no industry standard in this country for line rating/diameter, but in other countries line is sold by it's diameter, with # rating given as secondary info.. all that being said..IMO, the only way to know what ya got is to measure it with a micrometer.. But I have no inclination to, as eyeballing has been close enough fo my applications

my 2 lines are trilene xl and power pro so thats what im going off...

I left all my micrometers at work but I can do some measurements tomorrow.

and also the rated strength is not suppose to be the breaking strength, a 20lb test line should be able to handle 20 pounds comfortably. That's why the breaking strengths are always higher than the rating. But your onto something cause the thickness, rated strengths, and breaking strengths are all over the place. there is no standard. fireline is a great example, fireline is waaay under rated as far as pound test but is also way thicker than equally rated power pro.

So that it is understood what I'm trying to do.....

I have several SMALLER reels, both baitcasters and spinning reels. They have stated capacities, and are actually pretty accurate in terms of what they can hold. I'm talking about the actual mm(.in)/yds listed on the spool/reel - not the lb/yds rating.

I would like to find out about diameters because in MY case, where I'm using smaller reels, I would like to get the most line on as possible....

I understand I'll be sacrificing some strength as I drop in diameter, but I can live with that.

I have heard that the 5lb rated PP actually breaks at something like 11-15lb. And that Suffix 10lb breaks somewhere like 12-14lb.

(I want to be able to fish for small species in the surf without using 20-30lb braid.....)

Well throw this into your box of confusion.... Some lines are thinner and flatter, some very round. So a flat line with a claimed "thinner diameter" will still fill your spool the exact same amount as a round line with a thicker diameter.

biggrin.gif

View PostWell throw this into your box of confusion.... Some lines are thinner and flatter, some very round. So a flat line with a claimed "thinner diameter" will still fill your spool the exact same amount as a round line with a thicker diameter.

biggrin.gif

Yeah, i know what you mean about the "flat" line. however, it will still have an effective surface area that's measurable. ie - PP....much thicker than it claims. Harder to measure since it can lay "flatter." However, it's still going to take up an area greater than it's competitor of the same "claimed" line rating (Suffix perform.).

THey are way off, the thinnest i've found is the new Daiwa samuri braid thinner than other dawia braids and thinner then suffix. There was a post on a west coast board who listed several braids,fluro's,and mono diameter's. Let me see if I can find it tommorrow. But imo your not gonna find thinner than the samuri for the money/quality.

Because the braid squishes flat, it is near impossible to get a proper measurement. Comparing volumetrically is the best way I have found. I fill a sewing machine bobbin with the braid and then measure the length used for filling. Fill also with your favorite mono of appropriate sizes and measure them for comparison. Whichever lb. test mono length approximates the braid length, for the same volume, is the closest answer.

Stresst - if you can find that, that would be great.

I agree, a volumetric measurement is more accurate for the sake of spooling up a reel.

I have yet to get my hands on the 5lb PP. I have a place that's not too far from where I live that sells it - but I'm not able to get there until next weekend. I heard that it breaks at some ridiculous point - like 15lbs or something close to that.

If I remember correctly, the 8lb rated PP is actually SLIGHTLY thicker than the 10lb rated Suffix Performance. I just find it interesting that we, as consumers, have to do the work that the companies could have...instead of falsely noting the specs on the package.....ARGH mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

View PostI was wondering if anyone has actually taken measurements (mm/in) of braided lines? PP/Suffix Performance/TuffLine/etc....

I'm actually looking for a thin braid that will break at least at 10lb. I've heard the 5lb PP is actually pretty strong, but still not the thin diameter they claim.

Really, it's all about the dia. here.....

Any info?

Have never measured braid or mono w/ a caliper or mic.

View PostBecause the braid squishes flat, it is near impossible to get a proper measurement. Comparing volumetrically is the best way I have found. I fill a sewing machine bobbin with the braid and then measure the length used for filling. Fill also with your favorite mono of appropriate sizes and measure them for comparison. Whichever lb. test mono length approximates the braid length, for the same volume, is the closest answer.

Yeah.

Squished flat braid is another factor when it comes to measuring its thickness.