Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shag

Party Boat Codfishing???

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I haven't codfished since I was 13 thats 42 years ago. It was a trip on the a wooden Viking Boat out to Coxes Ledge. I'm reading all these reports and since I barely boat fish anymore, I don't know my a## from my elbow about tackle or anything else. Can you guys hook me up with what I need, how to rig, etc. etc. Specifically, what size braid? Leader? Knots? Hooks? jigs? Anything you can share.

Thanks,

Pete

Probably Montauk, I heard the action is in 110-130 feet. Budget, I've got quite a conventional setup I used to use 3 waying the race and gut, the humps around Montauk. I've got jigmasters, small senators, shimano tritons, so what should my budget be?

Well, I'm pretty new to this also but here's what I've been using:

rod/reel - whatever works for you. last time out, I used:

- penn 320gt2 + tidewater 5.5" for jigging

- shimano tld-20 + ugly stik big water 7" for bait

300 yards 50# mainline (braid) -> 10ft 50# mono leader -> 3ft 50# mono rig. 300 yards only because I want to be able to keep fishing if I lose a bunch of line. re-spooling blows. re-rigging is faster.

- main->leader: albright knot (uni-uni also works)

- mono->swivel is a trilene or improved clinch

The basic bait rig I use is (bottom up):

- bottom loop for sinker (surgeon's loop I think)

- 6" above that, a dropper (I make mine long enough so the hook sits on bottom)

- 18" above the dropper, another dropper.

- For hooks, I use 5/O-7/O.

Basic jigging rig I use is:

(since I only have two diamond jigs)...

- bottom = jig

- optional 18" above, teaser - swim shad, shrimp, whatever.

If you have a set up that you use to 3 way in the Race that should more than suffice. Most fish will be under 10 lbs but there is always a chance at a bruiser. I would recommed a rod rated up to 50lbs ( similiar to what I use in the Race) and you can certianly get away with a jig master or small senator with 40-50 lb mono or 50-65lb braid with a mono top shot. The basic Bait rig is a high/low with 2 7/0 sized hooks above a 10 oz sinker baited with clams. Some people use a squid or curly tailed teaser, but others feel these attract the dog fish. The other alternative would be to try and jig- the standard being a 8-10oz diamnod jig tp which a teaser can be added ahead of it- some people use curly grubs, feathers etc... Drop it to the bottom and take long slow lifts off the bottom- be prepared for the bite as the jig flutters back down. Of course there are many variations, but these will be the basics to get you started. You can also check the Viking website as they usually list what equipment to bring for each of their trips.

Looks like I was beaten to it- started the post and then got caught up at work.