Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ErikT

Anyone ever Chrome a Super Strike?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I was thinking about my two most productive poppers. The super strike little neck and the Chrome Creek Chub Striper Strike. I thought I would like to have a chrome sinking Super Strike in all sizes.. I think it would be HIGHLY effective...

So what would be the best way to paint one of these chrome? Sand it, coat it and paint it? I've never done any of it and will be using a spray can no doubt...

Thanks,

ErikT

buy a can of chrome spray paint and give it a couple of coats.

re-coat when it gets all banged up after fishing it a while.

there are more extensive methods you could follow, but the above is what I would do, and it will only cost you 4 bucks and about 20 mins (including drying time)

I would actually recommend Krylon metallic silver spraypaint over rust-oleum for a few reasons.

1) it drys in about 10-12 mins or less, while rust oleum takes a lot longer, generally overnight

2) I've used both, and I like the shine of the krylon silver a lot better, it also seems to coat nicer than the rust oleum.

There used to be a company called Nybco but not sure if they are in business anymore...they made at the time (15 years ago) the finest chrome spray paint ever made (IMO). Chrome is tricky though once it hits the water even with clear...ended up looking like silver...Your a man after my own heart with regards to that Chrome Striper Strike! Took a lot of big fish on it back in the day when Creek Chub still made quality lures...Probably took my biggest bass on that lure! Those black eyes with the white dots...the best snapper replication...it was sick...anyway...Good Luck..sorry I'm nnot much help on this one but it was nice to reflect!

Inorder to properly "chrome" plastic you must do it in a vacuum. The supplier will sputter (electronic process) a thin layer of aluminum on the part. The coating will oxidize quickly and therefore they put a clear or transparent lacquer coating over that for protection. There are several issues with the coating ... price, durability and adhesion.

The "chrome" paint works OK but it is very dependent on the base coat and surface finish. There used to be a product "Nearest Thing to Chrome .... NTC" that looked like polished aluminum.

Hey Ed,

That was a "Metallized" finish. As I mentioned, not as durable as I hoped. The adhesion was not too bad but the finish wore off the back surface from the hook hitting it during the cast.