Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gmofftarki

Stripers and spear-fishing

Rate this topic

113 posts in this topic

I realize it's a heated topic, and I understand why folks on both sides of the fence feel this way.

I was recently forwarded an article forwarded to the runner of a mailgroup from a NPO that focuses on Striped Bass Conservation, and having read through the policy points, I tend to agree.

• Striped bass have no damaging teeth; many veteran guides and anglers have landed thousands without ever carrying a gaff. There is absolutely no reason to wound these fish with a gaff in order to land them.

• Striped bass are heavily regulated by size restrictions. It is impossible to measure striped bass before gaffing or spearing, especially in the murky waters of Long Island Sound, and the wounds from either of these instruments can make the successful live release of these fish impossible.

• CT has long been a leader in the conservation of striped bass. To suddenly allow commercial fishing, gaffing or spearing with the pressure the striped bass resource is already under is turning back the clock on conservation in CT.

• Spearing striped bass is an unfair fishing technique. Divers have found stripers to be very friendly and unafraid; they often will take food directly from their hands Spearing them is unsporting.

• Striped bass are already under too much pressure. The biomass is shrinking which is harmful to the traditional guiding and tackle industries that depend on quality fishing. The last thing we need is new sources of mortality

• The conventional technique of rod and reel fishing is open to everyone and provides for the most conservation-oriented approach to this fishery.

I agree with the regulation on gaffing (though once again, I think it's easy enough to lip-gaff a striper if you're fishing off a jetty or whatnot to avoid permanent damage), but it strikes me that what we should focus on is getting a larger, not smaller, portion of the sportfishing scene interested in striper conservation, and having read the account of the 70+ lb bass spear-caught this past year, it seems as though it can (and in fact must) be done responsibly.

They can take two fish, you can take two fish, and both of you go home happy.

Perhaps a restriction on spear-fishing such that they could only shoot, say, ten fish a season with licensing might make more sense?

I don't know, it just seems wrong to say "this is how I fish, this is how you have to fish" when both of the groups in question have a vested interest in promoting Striped Bass conservation.

Thoughts?

So long as hook and line fishermen are restricted to ten fish a season with a special license, on top of the already imposed salt water license, I have no problem.

If I choose to kill one fish a day with a spear as opposed to a rod, so what. I know well what a legal fish looks like and have never shot anything close to short. I only go for a decent sized fish, and there are no mortality issues, because I am torturing/killing only one fish,. One shot and I am done for the day, that's it, zip, nada, no more fish.

Spear fishing is actually more conservation minded.

As for the fish being little "sea kittens", eating from your hand? Rarely has this been the case.

They are typically wary, and only a stealthy approach gives you a clean sight picture.

Peolpe who spearfish for stripers obviously cant catch them on rod and reel, So frustration turns to desperate acts, It's a shame.... Only a real fisherman can catch them!!!! Unless they're "starving to death" and have to feed their family. I know if i didn't add that quote every spearfisherman would have said it to try and justify what they're doing!!!!!shakehead.gif

I totally agree GMO, and would ban spearfishing anything ! Out west they almost killed off the friendly, Giant Black Seabass by spearing them then loosing them in the rocks. I fish freshwater Stripers with no limits in lakes that they over reproduce in and all gaffs are banned in freshwater. I have caught and lost 1000, s of them by grabbing the lip, but its still the right thing to do wink.gif !!

View PostPeolpe who spearfish for stripers obviously cant catch them on rod and reel, So frustration turns to desperate acts, It's a shame.... Only a real fisherman can catch them!!!! Unless they're "starving to death" and have to feed their family. I know if i didn't add that quote every spearfisherman would have said it to try and justify what they're doing!!!!!shakehead.gif

Spoken like someone who knows nothing about spearfishing...

Those who say spearfishing is easy have obviously never tried it. You can't shoot a fish from 10ft away. You have to be right up next to it and that's not easy to do especially with striped bass. I catch plenty of fish with a rod and reel. Spear fishing is a totally different experience.

What's next? Do you propose banning catching any fish with tackle rated more then 10lb? ...so it's not too easy?

View PostSo long as hook and line fishermen are restricted to ten fish a season with a special license, on top of the already imposed salt water license, I have no problem.

If I choose to kill one fish a day with a spear as opposed to a rod, so what. I know well what a legal fish looks like and have never shot anything close to short. I only go for a decent sized fish, and there are no mortality issues, because I am torturing/killing only one fish,. One shot and I am done for the day, that's it, zip, nada, no more fish.

Spear fishing is actually more conservation minded.

As for the fish being little "sea kittens", eating from your hand? Rarely has this been the case.

They are typically wary, and only a stealthy approach gives you a clean sight picture.

Let me just clarify where I was coming from. I was trying to be generous and figured most spearfishermen, like you, were very disciplined. I figured 10 trips a season was a pretty reasonable number. I also recall reading that it's much more difficult to judge the size of a given bass underwater, so training (ie. licensing) would help with that.

I went fishing all last season and kept one bass. Many of the posters here keep none. Sure, potentially, we could all keep 300 bass/yr (2 per day, 60/month, figure 5 months of 'useful fishing time' depending on where you are), but we don't.

Personally, I find the restriction against spearfishermen to be ludicrous, because, honestly? How many bass are taken by spearfishermen as a whole in a given year, compared with hook/line conventional fishermen?

Just wanted to open the topic up for discussion, because I think we could find a happy middle-ground.

As a fisherman and spearfishmen I can tell you the easiest thing about spearfishing a bass is pulling the trigger. Holding your breath for minutes at a time, diving down in deep water, and staying calm in 5 foot of visibility is not so easy. Stripers are probably the easiest fish to shoot down there, next to a fluke. I don't even bother with them most of the time.

View PostPeolpe who spearfish for stripers obviously cant catch them on rod and reel, So frustration turns to desperate acts, It's a shame.... Only a real fisherman can catch them!!!! Unless they're "starving to death" and have to feed their family. I know if i didn't add that quote every spearfisherman would have said it to try and justify what they're doing!!!!!shakehead.gif

Have you ever done it? kooky.gif

Try it, it's a lot harder than dunkin your chunks. mad.gif

There are spear fisherman who can hold there breath for several minutes in order to get the perfect shot.... I've never seen a drunken chain-smoking spear-fisherman either. I respect spear-fisherman, and have gotten some very good intel from some of them as well.

I'm a surfer, so i know what it's like to hold your breath when a wave beats your ass and you get held under and dragged across the bottom!!!!! I just don't agree with spearfishing!!! A monkey can hold its breath underwater like we can but a monkey can't fish!!!!!cwm27.gif

I dont have a problem with spearfishermen sharing our limit. It should be the same since we are targeting the same fish. Im sure it is a challenging sport. The only issue i can see is that if we were to go to a slot limit, like we should, how would that effect the spearfishermen? If we want the same rules then there is going to be a problem. I also have gotten good intel from spear guys. its cool getting info from below the surface. We can get a good idea from looking at the water and feeling the bottom with jigs, but when a guy tells you where there is a hole or a nice rock you didnt realize life is good.

On a final note to the spear guys... Stay away if there are fisherman around.mad.gif

View PostI'm a surfer, so i know what it's like to hold your breath when a wave beats your ass and you get held under and dragged across the bottom!!!!! I just don't agree with spearfishing!!! A monkey can hold its breath underwater like we can but a monkey can't fish!!!!!cwm27.gif

Years ago when I surfed, I surfed montauk on 10+ foot days (the waves were taller then my 9 ft board) and got killed by some waves. It may feel like minutes but your probably only getting tossed around for maybe 20-30 seconds max. Now if your surfing the Pipe on a big day I could see being held down for a while. I don't think anyone has ever compared Long Beach, NY to the Pipe.

As the others here have stated, spearfishing is no way as easy as dunking chuncks or casting plugs at MTK. When you spear a fish free diving you have earned that fish. Spear fishing is not just about holding your breath just as surfing is not just about standing up on a board and waving to the pretty girls on the beach as you ride a wave in.

Plus when you fishing on the beach or pier you don't have to worry about sharks (speared fish bleed). My buddy had to smack a 12ft shark in the nose with his tip while spearfishing out in CA

View Postcwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

I didn't write it, somebody else did. I can't say who or give the link, but they've been making a big deal out of CT striper laws in the past two weeks or so.