Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joec0436

custom jon boat

34 posts in this topic

anyone here ever customize a jon boat. looking to pick one up off of craigslist. put down a deck, some swivels, little wiring for lights... something small with a trolling motor. not to crazy or expensive. anyone have any experience with this. any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks! little project til the spring and the big boat goes back in!

my buddys boat is pretty sweet. He has a floor with carpet on it, every bench has a compartment to store things in. One holds the batteries the other one I believe has a sump pump. He really went all out but he still saved a lot of money doing so. Turned out great!

someone had one for sale in the BST forum. i dont remember who it was off the top of my head with a little searching around you may be able to find the thread. it was a very nice setup. maybe he'll step up and give you more info.

View Postsomeone had one for sale in the BST forum. i dont remember who it was off the top of my head with a little searching around you may be able to find the thread. it was a very nice setup. maybe he'll step up and give you more info.

I bought that boat. It was a great deal and is perfect for the lakes I fish. All of the floor boards and battery's come out easy which makes it light to pull the boat across my lawn and put it on the side of my house. If you want to know anything about the boat just send me a PM or post it in this forum, I'll be glad to share any info your looking for.

hey thanks for all the replies guys! in the process of trying to find a bare one for cheap or next to nothing on craigslist. once i do, the questions will start pouring out. thanks again!

Just be mindful of weight.. Jons often have low freeboard, and small weight capacities.. look for something in a wider model, especially if you plan on adding a deck.

View PostJust be mindful of weight.. Jons often have low freeboard, and small weight capacities.. look for something in a wider model, especially if you plan on adding a deck.

Good point, mine is wide but still has a weight capacity of 450 lbs.

Do a web search for Jon Boat Modifications and you will come across with some great info. I recently have started modifying my jon boat and recieved excellent advice from one site in paticular. Can't post the link but if you were to pm me your e-mail I can send you the website name.

View Postanyone here ever customize a jon boat. looking to pick one up off of craigslist. put down a deck, some swivels, little wiring for lights... something small with a trolling motor. not to crazy or expensive. anyone have any experience with this. any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks! little project til the spring and the big boat goes back in!

I have a "how to" booklet called "Your Jon boat can be a "Hydrilla Gorilla".

It tells you how to do all of those cool things that will make a jon boat really tricked out.

Send me your address in a PM and I'll send it to you...

I'll try to find pics of mine I used to have before I got into the salt thing...

Chris

I scanned a pic...

Extra wide Sea Nymph. If I remember, it was about 13'. I added everything to the boat.

Seats with homemade mounts, custom made aluminum plate on the front with a block welded to it to attach the trolling motor to, underneath it there was storage for some stuff, carpet covered floors.

I added the extension handle to the Minn Kota. I had an old 4 hp. Merc on the back that pushed it pretty well. You can see the two battery operated lights under each seat. Rod holders, depth/fish finder, homemade trailer.

Not in the pic are two anchor mates that I had mounted with anchors front and back.

Long Island has very few launch ramps and only one body of water to use the outboard. I also had a second trolling motor to use on the back.

The only problem with this set-up is it's very heavy. It was a hump to launch it but worth it. I spent many, many hours fishing out of this boat.

Then we discovered belly boats and I sold the jon boat... biggrin.gif

Any questions just ask...

Chris

View Postcant wait to test your boat out this summer haha..

I can't wait either. everynight I walk past my son's fish tank and wonder if they make hooks small enough to catch a few neon'scwm27.gif

Nice boats guys! I have a coleman crawdad that I've cut floorboards and motormounts for. It came out really well. I have it set up with a 27lb TM on the front and a 36lb TM on the back with a simple depth finder. Works great, floats in super skinny water and is a light and durable as anything. JoeC, if you haven't found it yet, I know a great site with a lot of info on building and customizing aluminum/jon boats. If you want, PM me your email and I'll hook you up with the link.