Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Artificial all the way

Any Guinea Hen owners here

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Wife likes ducks, chickens, and such and over the years we have tried several times to keep some only to feed the wildlife with dozens of birds. The yotes, foxes, and raccoons adjust there feeding times to hit them before dark. One or more at a time ripped up until I am looking at an empty pen. We want them to be able to roam the yard (Entire area and woods).

So I spot some cool looking birds and find out they are Guinea Hens. my wife looks them up. Reads that Guinea Hens will roost in a tree at night away from most predators. Not having to have a fenced in pen, shut a door, or insure they are in for the night would be a major help. From what she is telling me they only need a pen for a couple months before they can fly to a roost.

Please, any advice would be much appreciated by me and the 30 G hens she's getting ready to order.

Thank you

Jay

My neighbor had 2 and they are cool. A few calls when they roost in the evening is the worst they do. His got hit by cars; foxes were not a problem and they eat ticks. I want to get some birds for the yard and they are near the top of the list. There are several varieties available as well. Hoffman Hatchery in PA is my source.

I've been thinking the same thing so let us know how you make out. A friend had a couple dozen years ago and if there was a predator problem we never missed them. Only down side I recall was what a b-ch it was catching them unless your neighbors don't mind an occassional gun shot.

Also considering rabbits but my experience with penned fowl has been negative. Weasels can squeeze through a knothole the size of a dime and take out half your flock in a night.

will they stay in an area or do they need to be penned?

dog tested positive for exposure to lymes last week so anything that eats ticks would be a good thing.

luckily the lymes vaccine did it's job......cwm31.gif

Unless penned in, they will run loose across roads and such.

The drawback, there.

Have to swerve to avoid flocks of them heading for the fishing holes around here.

We keep chickens and have had some trouble with predators too. We pen them at night in a secure coop, but will still lose an occasional bird if we aren't careful. Guinea hens will get whacked, but not as easily. Racoons are hard to stop and a tree is no obstacle. The only sure way to keep them alive is to lock them up every night, no exception.

I have been raising chickens most of my life and in those years have also raised a wide variety of other poultry, Guinea hens included. In the past, I have had White, Purple, Lavander and Buff Guinea. They are a great all around bird and fun to raise but they definitly have their Pros and Cons.

They are generally hardy birds but not sure how they hold up in real cold/wet weather.( I always culled my guinea before winter)

If you cull, in my opinion they are one of the best tasting birds going.

They are far roamers unlike chickens and will venture far from their coop in search of food and fun. They will nest in trees and others things too.

They eat bugs, ticks and grass/weeds so buying feed is minimal and keeps the ticks way down.

They lay a tasty egg here and there, if you can find it.(They never layed in nest boxes)

They are GREAT watchdogs and have a fun personality.

However, their biggest drawback is that they are Loud, very loud. Part of that loud is the fact that their quack is very different then a chicken or duck, it's kind of like a pissed off screaching duck quack and when they get going as a group they are relentless.

If you can find some being raised locally you might want to check them out so you can can get an idea of their noise level and if its suitable.

they are so blanking loud, annoying an noisy. my neighbor down the raoad had some(many houses down the street). for a few week period, the sumbitches would come and squak away under my bedroom window at 5 am.

if those cars didn't kill them, I would have.

Thank you all very much.

I have no cars flying down my dead end road and noise doesn't bother my loud family or my neighbors. I read they eat a crazy amount of ticks. I have deer in my yard and woods and have had two bites with the tell tale red rings already. I would deal with the issues to rid our area of ticks.

I am going to stop and talk with the people that have grey stripped ones under there bird feeder daily. They are left free to roam and I have seen the same dozen since the beginning of summer and they are all still alive. Hard winter so far and I believe they have no pen or coop.

I plan on keeping them in a coop with a roost at night for the first few months to keep them safe and make them familiar with the yard.

Not sure where my wife is getting them from. She has ordered other kinds of birds in the past and spotted them in that catalog. Mc something?

Since she found out they don't need a coop she said she was going to buy 30 and keep them all. She said she is going to tell the neighborhood we have no clue where they came from or why they like to hang at out house.

Funny but I don't think so.

One other question. There crap? Do they dump all over the place? If they roost on our new wood fence will they dump all over it? Driveway and so on or do they go in the lawns and or woods? Had a little issue with the giant white ducks crapping on my neighbor's nice clean driveway.

I think she is going forward with this. The min order is like 30 birds.

I'll ask her when she is going to order them and post here if anyone local wants some. I think they were 4 bucks a chick.

Our Great Dane is going to have a ball with the birds in the yard. He's great with all animals. Yes, even cats.

Jay

These birds are as dumb as it comes if you have roads near by and if you have brush around the edges of your property keep a watchful eye as predators will use this and ambush them.my neighbor goes through a flock a year most are hit by cars.

View PostThank you all very much.

I have no cars flying down my dead end road and noise doesn't bother my loud family or my neighbors. I read they eat a crazy amount of ticks. I have deer in my yard and woods and have had two bites with the tell tale red rings already. I would deal with the issues to rid our area of ticks.

I am going to stop and talk with the people that have grey stripped ones under there bird feeder daily. They are left free to roam and I have seen the same dozen since the beginning of summer and they are all still alive. Hard winter so far and I believe they have no pen or coop.

I plan on keeping them in a coop with a roost at night for the first few months to keep them safe and make them familiar with the yard.

Not sure where my wife is getting them from. She has ordered other kinds of birds in the past and spotted them in that catalog. Mc something?

Since she found out they don't need a coop she said she was going to buy 30 and keep them all. She said she is going to tell the neighborhood we have no clue where they came from or why they like to hang at out house.

Funny but I don't think so.

One other question. There crap? Do they dump all over the place? If they roost on our new wood fence will they dump all over it? Driveway and so on or do they go in the lawns and or woods? Had a little issue with the giant white ducks crapping on my neighbor's nice clean driveway.

I think she is going forward with this. The min order is like 30 birds.

I'll ask her when she is going to order them and post here if anyone local wants some. I think they were 4 bucks a chick.

Our Great Dane is going to have a ball with the birds in the yard. He's great with all animals. Yes, even cats.

Jay

I'm in Ct and might take some if you eventually do that.

My neighbors did roost every night in the same spot.

The McMurray place is in Indiana I think. Hoffmans is in PA and is overnight by USPS to our area. I might wait till the weather warms some before shipping. The min order is to insure they have enough body heat to make the trip.