Blimy - Worst Winter Storm in 18 years - Global Warming my arse

Rate this topic

RJ

Breaking News

12:00am UK, Tuesday February 03, 2009

Another day of travel chaos is expected today as temperatures plummet and heavy snowfalls hit northern parts of Britain, Scotland and Ireland.

15215547.jpg Lorry abandoned in thick snow - a familiar scene in many parts

The worst winter weather for 18 years has caused massive disruption to rail and air services and caused major problems on the roads.

Thousands of schools were closed and over six million workers are said to have stayed at home.

Analysts have put the cost to business at £1.2bn - but say the figure could be a lot higher.

Earlier, major airports closed runways, dozens of trains were suspended and there were no buses in London during the morning rush hour.

15214974.jpgBrrrrrr!

On the London Underground, 10 of the 11 lines were either completely or partly suspended.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the authorities were doing "everything in our power" to get the country moving again.

An army of snow ploughs and gritters worked non-stop to clear the roads but motorists were still caught in huge tailbacks.

At 20cm (8ins) the snowfall was the heaviest in Britain since February 1991, when about 10cm fell.

Over 2,000 primary and secondary schools were forced to close, with those in southern England among the worst affected.

Many are expected to remain shut for another day at least - much to the delight of pupils.

Around 80% of the London Underground is now operational while around 100 out of 700 London bus routes are running a limited service.

But air, rail and bus operators are warning of more travel problems on Tuesday and are urging travellers to check the latest information before setting out.

Network Rail said it would do everything possible to get trains running.

Maintenance teams would be out "in force" overnight clearing and de-icing tracks and points.

However, a rail spokesman admitted: "It all depends on the weather."

The Highways Agency said snow and ice would make road conditions hazardous. It is urging drivers not to travel unless it is "essential".

BAA which operates Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted airports says further disruption is inevitable.

More than 800 flights were cancelled at Heathrow alone on Monday.

15215554.jpg Snow-covered rail tracks in London

London and the South East were worst hit by the snowfall which is expected to move northwards and westwards overnight.

Sky News weather presenter Francis Wilson said conditions would remain unsettled and wintry on Tuesday.

He warned ice would be the main problem facing people in the morning.

"All week we're going to have unsettled, wintry weather - but the snowfalls will get less and less and the depth of frost less and less," he added.

You have to be a complete and utter moron to accept the Gorites man made global warming scenario. The fact that we've been cooling for the past 10 years doesn't help either does it?

If you believe in nothing, you'll believe anything. MM global warming is a great example.cwm27.gifcwm27.gif

View PostYou have to be a complete and utter moron to accept the Gorites man made global warming scenario.

headscratch.gif

really?

I'd think you'd have to be a complete and utter moron not to accept all the things we have done which warm the planet.....

deforesestation,

how many square miles of roads and highways do you think we have paved?

all the cars on these roads.

it would take a complete idiot not to recognize that the things we do generate a HELL of a lot of heat.

Eggy 10-13

LAA 7-14

50-50 2-15

View Postheadscratch.gif

really?

I'd think you'd have to be a complete and utter moron not to accept all the things we have done which warm the planet.....

deforesestation,

how many square miles of roads and highways do you think we have paved?

all the cars on these roads.

it would take a complete idiot not to recognize that the things we do generate a HELL of a lot of heat.

De-forestation is a much bigger issue in S. America than it is here in N. America. There are actually more acres of woodlands now than there were 150 years ago in this country. It has more to do with the death of small farms than a real effort to grow trees, but those are the facts. You are right about us generating a lot of heat though.

View PostDe-forestation is a much bigger issue in S. America than it is here in N. America. There are actually more acres of woodlands now than there were 150 years ago in this country. It has more to do with the death of small farms than a real effort to grow trees, but those are the facts. You are right about us generating a lot of heat though.

I was talking globally.

If it's in the middle of July would you rather walk barefoot in the woods?

or on asphalt.

all the roads are giant heat sinks and the number of square miles of pavement alone has to be a huge factor in warming. I wouldn't even be able to guess how many square miles of pavement we have laid down......

gotta be in the hundreds of thousands no?

Eggy 10-13

LAA 7-14

50-50 2-15

View PostI was talking globally.

If it's in the middle of July would you rather walk barefoot in the woods?

or on asphalt.

all the roads are giant heat sinks and the number of square miles of pavement alone has to be a huge factor in warming. I wouldn't even be able to guess how many square miles of pavement we have laid down......

gotta be in the hundreds of thousands no?

True. But pavement has a bigger impact by increasing runoff of bad stuff into the waterways. Not sure that pavement has that much of an impact on warming though. Listen, I'm on your side when comes to taking care of the environment. On that I whole heartedly agree. The impact of humans on possible global warming, is still debateable when taking about to what degree we have any influenece on it (if any). In the end though, taking care of the enviroment is a good thing.

View PostTrue. But pavement has a bigger impact by increasing runoff of bad stuff into the waterways. Not sure that pavement has that much of an impact on warming though. Listen, I'm on your side when comes to taking care of the environment. On that I whole heartedly agree. The impact of humans on possible global warming, is still debateable when taking about to what degree we have any influenece on it (if any). In the end though, taking care of the enviroment is a good thing.

I think pavement does have an impact. i read somewhere that if Central Park was developed or paved over, the average NYC temp would be something like 5 -10 degrees warmer on average.

"I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin'. I'm not talkin' 'bout day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout shahkin'!"

Mike,

That's the problem, isn't it? No one is against reducing pollution and keeping the planet clean. No one should oppose doing what we can, within reason, to keep the planet as livable as possible for future generations.

That's why I made the point of saying "Gorites' man made global warming scenario" which is no different than those people people who believe in the mothership. Their scenario is apocalyptic and it is all our fault, which is much different than being a good steward of the planet.

And of course, it totally ignores the planet's natural cycles and changes in temperatures which are caused by solar temp flucuations, orbital changes, magnetic forces, solar winds, the seas, vulcanism etc., etc. It is just so much more complex and so much bigger than asphalt streets.cwm27.gifcwm27.gifkooky.gif

I will say again, you have to be a complete moron to buy into the Goreites man made global warming scenario. Or, you've got to be using that and trying to panic people to give you more power for a totally different agenda.

8" of snow fell in the UAE this year. That in itself is so unusual, that there is not even a word for snow in the local language.

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2009/01/25/64949.html

You know it must be all the building going on there that is creatin the heatsink which is causing all the warmig .... I mean cooling ..... wink.gif

"meet our growth targets that put us on a pathway to growth."