Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperTC

Swimbait set up

9 posts in this topic

Need some recomendations for a setup for throwing swimbaits. Figure an ounce or a bit more. Conventional. Went for ambassadeur 7000 , however I think they are going to be too heavy. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Tom

you might want to think about about a saltwater rod for throwing heavy stuff in FW....think lamiglas inshore classic or st croix tidmaster.

i'm sure you could use a flipping stick to throw it, but i dont know if they're going to have the kind of action you want.

theres a lot of musky sticks out there too. they're designed to throw heavy plugs so would probably be perfect for heavy swimbaits. check out BPS.

View PostNeed some recomendations for a setup for throwing swimbaits. Figure an ounce or a bit more. Conventional. Went for ambassadeur 7000 , however I think they are going to be too heavy. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Tom

Unless yer chucking really BIG swimbaits, which it doesn't sound like you are, I think that 7000 is gonna be a little bit cumbersome. 5500 is probably all the bigger you need. Load it with some 50 or 65lb braid... Heck even 80 pound will work. The heavier braid helps with casting.

As far as rods, a lot of companies have "swimbait" series rods now... You can check them out. The previously mentioned inshore rods will work great too. I would second a tidemaster, as I have one that performs great as a swimbait rod. Flipping sticks can also double as lighter swimbait rods. You'll probably want something between 7 and 8 ft and I prefer a moderate/fast action, thats just me though. Something with lots of power in the butt, but not too fast a tip.

I wouldn't think you'd need a 7000 for swimbaits. I use a 7000 for muskie baits and that's only for the Double 10 blade baits I use. Those things will work you if you use a 6500.

Thanks guys. Found a nice lami custom that I'm having rebuilt. This puppy is heavy. Ah love it!!smile.gif

Also came up with an older ambassadeur, reworked by Hookless. Man he does beautiful work. Now to get some baits!!biggrin.gif and kick some biguns butt.