Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jameson

New Abu 7000's i am confused...

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Looking to buy a NEW Abu 7000 and almost picked one up until I was looking in BST at this 7000b

I fish mainly an abu 7000 conventional from the surf. plugs from 1.5 to 3.5-4 with 50# braid. I need a levelwind since I fish mostly at night and dont want another pain in the ass. It is an old red 7000, getting kind of rickety, the drag star/wheel is bent and bent back on almost all of the "tines" and so forth. I bought trick bearings for it a couple years ago and other than reg self lubing and once every two years or when it broke going to shop.

Looking to pick up a new or 9.5/10 one and wondering WHICH ONE? Again, braid, levelwind, Instant AR would be nice, the ceramic bearing levelwind? I am not opposed to buying a different one and upgrading it myself if need be or that is better way to get what I want.

I really liked the red 7000i I think it was? I saw it at the show this weekend and it felt sooooo much better than the one I am using just cranking it an it had the cool little knobby on the spool to eliminate my white sports tape backing!

Looking for advice from people that currently use this product in the applications I will as well. Dunking the reel is not an issue because I dont wetsuit, mostly fish jetties, and when I dunk or "DUNK AND ROLL" (dunk and drop in sand/surf) quickie with bottled water and dismantle/clean after.

Appreciate the time...

JC

I've got an older 7000, a 7200 that's been hot rodded up a bit, and last year, picked up a 7000i Pro Rocket. I fish the same plug range and conditions as you described. I was a little apprehensive about the 7000i since its made in Asia now, but I must say it performed as well as my older Swedish Abu's. Smooth and reliable. No problems at all. I also fish with the levelwind models, as I plug with them at night, and, like you, don't need one more thing to think about. If you are considering the 7000i, I'd say go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I am thinking the 7000i and just get some faster bearings for it if I am unhappy.

Also should I upgrade to the mearing in the levelwind? Make much of a difference? What about hte ceramic pawls and all of that? Worth it?

JC

I like the 7000 size(converted) for bait, but would think a 6500 would be better suited for plugging, although I'll admit with 4 oz plugs you're getting to the cross-over point. Unless you are using that heavy a plug most of the time, I would think a 6500 CS Elite would be prime for your application, especially using braid. Should hold plenty of line, and be a much better caster/distance wise.

Just my $.02 smile.gif

Only reason I am stuck on the 7000 size is that I figure everything inside like the gears would be a little beefier. I would like to use this ona few trips to the ditch this year and I always THOUGHT the 6500 size was a bit wimpier?

Is this true?

JC

View Post

Is this true?

JC

Someone like Jimmy Z could give you a more educated answer on that, I'm sure. From what I've seen in the reels, I don't see(other than spool size) a big difference. I do admit, the lower gear ratio of the regular 7000 would be not as hard on gears, but I'm not sure what the ratio is for the 7000i? Gear hardness/etc would also have a factor in this, and also not familar with Chinese production specs.