Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HenryM

Penn Squidder

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I have recently inherited an assortment of reels from my uncle who was an avid fisherman. I have been surf fishing with him since I was young but am having a hard time with this reel.

The penn squidder 140L was in rough shape so i completely stripped it down cleaned and relubed the gears. I used the reel schematic to reassemble it and everything went back together fine. My problem is that the spool release lever seems to be binding against something, not allowing the spool to release and free spool to cast. Has anyone else ever had this problem or any possible solutions?

Henry

haha none but the spring that puts tension on the anti reverse made me want to throw the reel off the roof when it slipped off the post for the eleventh time during reassembly.

im sure i will once its up an running. Im thinking about taking it to a tackle shop that works on penn to have them take a look. Also does anyone know a good rod to use this on i was thinking in the 11' range?

I'd help if I thought I could, but learned my lesson ( for the most part redface.gif ), about pulling things apart to far at first smile.gif

Can't figure out the anti-reverse spring on my Spirex mad.gif Need a bigger hammer cwm27.gif

Henry, take it apart & redo it. You many have out a piece in wrong.

I have had this problem & was able to fix it myself. You can always go to the shop after if it still doen't work.

I'll try that tonight I'm doing a reel every day and today is either the 750ss 6500ss or the daiwa 7000 million dx. I inherited all these last week and want to give them a thoroughcleaning and lube before I get them on the beach.

Back to the squidder does anyone have any rod reccomendations?

so I figured out what the problem was. The barbs on the eccentric jack werent holding onto the pinion yoke allowing the pinion to free spin. I was amazed that such a little thing could effect such a major component of the reel. Now all i have left is to find a rod.

Do you reccomend braided line or mono. I have power pro on all my spinners but dont know how this conventional style reel will react.

Will i have any issues getting some backlash out of the line if i decide to go with the power pro? Ive read that until i get my thumb used to riding the spool to slow it down I run the risk of some nasty backlash.

View Postso I figured out what the problem was. The barbs on the eccentric jack werent holding onto the pinion yoke allowing the pinion to free spin. I was amazed that such a little thing could effect such a major component of the reel.

clapping.gif

Nice...thats how i learned...running into problems will teach you a lot about how your reel works. Now you know and when something else breaks you can fix it. I would suggest putting together a little toolkit with some spare parts and tools you need to maintain your reel...