Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hpyzyna1

Peen reel

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

there fine when new but wear out quick. lotta plastic internally. Bought one for my deckand a few summers agoto "play" fish with and he got 2 years occasional use outa it before it came back to me to be fixed and trashed.

My brother had one, after a bit of fishing the drag got real herky-jerky and it grinds. It still functions, but he threw it in the bin in favor of a Shimano. If you'd like a Penn, the real cheap models are best avoided. The SSM's, SSG's and Slammers are good reels. Maybe the Sargus too, they seem to have some fans.

Keep the Captivas and Silverados away from the surf. They are mostly plastic, and require lubrication after every use. I learned the hard way.

THey would probably make good catfishing reels though. But not very big catfish. biggrin.gif

The Captiva is definately one of Penn's lower quality reels. Might be fine for the occasional fishing but I would not recommend it to anyone that even does a moderate amount. For another 10 bucks more you can get a Shimano Solstace which is far better built.

thanx for the advice i canceled my order for the cv8000 and went with a little cheaper but better daiwa emcast s 6000 thanks for the advice would of been pretty disappointed without your advice thanks again all

I used to fish with the low end reels, added up what I was spending and

found out I could have bought a good premium reel like a VS or a ZB

for what I had burned on the low end. That's where the value is.

If your dunkin' in the surf, you really have to go premium. The salt kills the

leakers. beers.gif