Night Time Wood

Rate this topic

BassinJ

Just trying to learn the basics on what woods are known producers, so I know how to avoid specific brands/colors, and what ones have done well. Not saying that brands that are less known aren't good, but I'd rather stick with the proven woods, especially with the price they cost.

Just wanted to know a few of your favorite night time wood plugs, any specific color suggestions?

Thank you's !

No excuses, go fishing.

for a basic "wood" the gibbs dannies, although not fancy will catch well for you and can be had on the cheap compared to others, White, black, yellow, olive/white 2 1/4 oz. all will produce. Personally the gibbs small danny is also a good unheralded plug and has been a killer for me particulary during mullet run. Downside is you may have to rewire the smaller one at some point. i'd upgrade hooks too.

Dark colors...Just get a couple basic swimmers, dannies, poppers, bombers, redfins,bucktails, swim shads (Tsunami) and go casting. I felt like an idiot when I first started throwing plugs, and then it clicked. Practice, practice, practice.

Do not care what others may be thinking. Everyone started out the same way.

Unfortunately there is no simple answer to this question.The best advice I give you is start in the beginning.That would be Gibbs..The thing is you want to figure out is how the lures you decide on swim or react to different water conditions.You want to be able to make the proper decision on your own when the time arrives.There are many companies that make danny type lures for instance.While the Gibbs danny is as versatle a nightime lure you might find there will be times I might choose a beachmaster over a gibbs.Or visa versa.They are made of wood they both have a similar shape yet one might pull down a little more or one might ride up better.It's up to you to know the difference.You have to test em out when you can see em.Then you can make a descision when fishing em..The fish don't always want it the same way.If I had a preference at night, I find one that swims just under the surface as slow as I can retrieve it is one of my preferences to start with.With that said wood is not a consistant material to make lure out of.It's not a bad thing it just makes em different.To assume they will all swim the same can be a mistake I have different dannys from the same manufacturer that react differently.

I will also use different hook configurations to give me different action.If I wantto swim more on top with a slower retrieve and still wiggle I might use lighter hooks.If I want it to dig or hold better in bigger water I might use a bigger front hook.You'll also find you can tune them by adjusting the line tie or metal lip.Some might add they do not want you to bend the lip but I do it all the time.When tuning you'll find the opposite action gives you the desired results in other words if you bend the line tie up the plug will dig down..Same goes for the lip.I will also add you should just keep it simple in your approach.You don't need the latest greatest's in new designs.In colors while sometimes they matter,at night it is best to stay with the darker patterns.white or yelow would not hurt ya either.

Build a Better Mantrap
and the Rats will beat a path to your Door..

Everything has its place and time - the fish don't know who made the plug you're throwing, all they know is if it looks like something they want to try to eat, and what determines that is an infinite number of factors unique to the time and place you happen to be fishing.

Carry a range of plugs and learn what tends to work in certain situations.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

View PostUnfortunately there is no simple answer to this question.The best advice I give you is start in the beginning.That would be Gibbs..The thing is you want to figure out is how the lures you decide on swim or react to different water conditions.You want to be able to make the proper decision on your own when the time arrives.There are many companies that make danny type lures for instance.While the Gibbs danny is as versatle a nightime lure you might find there will be times I might choose a beachmaster over a gibbs.Or visa versa.They are made of wood they both have a similar shape yet one might pull down a little more or one might ride up better.It's up to you to know the difference.You have to test em out when you can see em.Then you can make a descision when fishing em..The fish don't always want it the same way.If I had a preference at night, I find one that swims just under the surface as slow as I can retrieve it is one of my preferences to start with.With that said wood is not a consistant material to make lure out of.It's not a bad thing it just makes em different.To assume they will all swim the same can be a mistake I have different dannys from the same manufacturer that react differently.

I will also use different hook configurations to give me different action.If I wantto swim more on top with a slower retrieve and still wiggle I might use lighter hooks.If I want it to dig or hold better in bigger water I might use a bigger front hook.You'll also find you can tune them by adjusting the line tie or metal lip.Some might add they do not want you to bend the lip but I do it all the time.When tuning you'll find the opposite action gives you the desired results in other words if you bend the line tie up the plug will dig down..Same goes for the lip.I will also add you should just keep it simple in your approach.You don't need the latest greatest's in new designs.In colors while sometimes they matter,at night it is best to stay with the darker patterns.white or yelow would not hurt ya either.

Damn NIB,

My answer was just gonna be "Blurple"

live to fish