Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oakey

Anyone take martial arts?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Seems like there are quite a few MMA fans here...Does anyone take any form of martial arts? I started taking Gracie Jiu-Jitsu at their global HQ in Torrance, CA a few months ago. It is alot of fun and very challenging. The gracies are pretty hardcore guys. The Golds Gym I belong to in Redondo Beach also has a mma class taught by a guy named John Marsh. I bounce in here every now and again. He was one of the original UFC guys. I have seen Andersen Silva and a couple other guys at the gym. Southern California is home to tons of fight clubs. I wish I started when I was younger as I am really taking a liking to it. cwm15.gif

whenever you come to connecticut,you have to see me.

Back in summer i was trainning so hard because i wanted to get ready for Ryron Gracie to come to the academy for the blu belt day.i was free matt with another student.it was fun and we were in the full mode grappling,and he cought me in an arm bar and my elbow snapped and fall back in place within seconds.but i kept going/That was the mistake'',i had that horrible pain for the past few months.i don't know how i was moving the shop from the garage to the basement and bringing the drill press to the basement i felt another 'snaaap'',and it was like a shock,painfull as yaoooo. seems like the nerve or whatever was pinched went back in place.

thanks god i just returned to the gym 3 weeks ago,been trainning hard on freeweights.and in a month or two i'll be back in the dojo.

i really can't wait to start again.

happy to have you here.

you trainning with the gracies? if so what a honor.

good luck.

whenever you come to connecticut,you have to see me.

Back in summer i was trainning so hard because i wanted to get ready for Ryron Gracie to come to the academy for the blu belt day.i was free matt with another student.it was fun and we were in the full mode grappling,and he cought me in an arm bar and my elbow snapped and fall back in place within seconds.but i kept going/That was the mistake'',i had that horrible pain for the past few months.i don't know how i was moving the shop from the garage to the basement and bringing the drill press to the basement i felt another 'snaaap'',and it was like a shock,painfull as yaoooo. seems like the nerve or whatever was pinched went back in place.

thanks god i just returned to the gym 3 weeks ago,been trainning hard on freeweights.and in a month or two i'll be back in the dojo.

i really can't wait to start again.

happy to have you here

ryron and rener gracie teach the class almost every day. I also see royce gracie and other members of the family around. Royce actually has his own shop down in Hermosa Beach.

View PostI wanted to learn bjj, but it was going to take far too much from my wallet.

I hear you Charlie...surf fishing is almost non existent in southern california so I had to pick up a new hobby. All I do now is surf and take jiu jitsu. It is a much healthier lifestyle as you can be a fat slob, two pack a day smoker and still be a great fisherman. surfing and martial arts you will fail miserably unless you are in shape. I consider it an investment in my well being along with being fun.

or is it that I am going through a mid life crisis at 36 cwm31.gif

View PostI hear you Charlie...surf fishing is almost non exixtent in southern california so I had to pick up a new hobby. All I do now is surf and take jiu jitsu. It is a much heatheir lifestyle as you can be a fat slob two pack a day smoker and still be a great fisherman. surfing and martial arts you will fail miserably unless you are in shape. I consider it an investment in my well being along with being fun.

or is it that I am going through a mid life crisis at 36 cwm31.gif

Its an awesome attitude and great excuse to stay healthy. I am a bit jealous, especially since I had a job offer a couple years ago to move to San Diego.

View PostIts an awesome attitude and great excuse to stay healthy. I am a bit jealous, especially since I had a job offer a couple years ago to move to San Diego.

I love Jersey and miss it very much, but San Diego is a great city. I have spent three weekends there since I moved to So Cal. Great Surfing, night life, boating, sports(chargers, padres), weather and the homes surrounding the city are affordable. I was down at fishermans landing in San Diego two weeks ago when the long range boat the EXCEL came in. They were unloading 200 plus pound yellowfin tuna with a fork lift! On top of that they had wahoo and some other stuff. In San Diego there is a thriving inshore fishery for sand bass, California halibut, even bonefish within city limits! Of course you probably do not want to hear all this... beatin.gif

sorry dont mean to but in. i have been training bjj for over 7 years and love it. yes u will have injuries but so do fat guys walking on jetties. staying in shape and learning self defense both great. i came from a wrestling back ground, so takedowns are good. i have been doing muay thai now for a little while and its very good as well. the knees and elbow are crazy talk about a fight stopper. the muay thai even though its stand up has helped my bjj game. it is a different workout nonstop, where in bjj if i get in a good position i can rest. IMO bjj and muay thai are the 2 best arts for street and real life. i train bjj under bill scott who is black belt under renzo gracie and ricardo almeida in point pleasent and muay thai under kru tom dowd who is under jay wellington and then Mr. Nerse ( one GSP's coaches). this school is in wall. they have a good deal u can train at both schools for what one school usually charges. jim

[quote=Oakey;

ryron and rener gracie teach the class almost every day. I also see royce gracie and other members of the family around. Royce actually has his own shop down in Hermosa Beach.

you must be proud to be around the guys who changed the martial arts world. i wish i'll be there.that must be a thrill.

View Postsorry dont mean to but in. i have been training bjj for over 7 years and love it. yes u will have injuries but so do fat guys walking on jetties. staying in shape and learning self defense both great. i came from a wrestling back ground, so takedowns are good. i have been doing muay thai now for a little while and its very good as well. the knees and elbow are crazy talk about a fight stopper. the muay thai even though its stand up has helped my bjj game. it is a different workout nonstop, where in bjj if i get in a good position i can rest. IMO bjj and muay thai are the 2 best arts for street and real life. i train bjj under bill scott who is black belt under renzo gracie and ricardo almeida in point pleasent and muay thai under kru tom dowd who is under jay wellington and then Mr. Nerse ( one GSP's coaches). this school is in wall. they have a good deal u can train at both schools for what one school usually charges. jim

right now i'm trainning in the academy gjj,but i'm thinking in considering Gonzaga's academy is about 25 minutes from me,but the chit is,the monthly cost.they want 125.00 a month but they teach 6 days a week wich i really like..right now i'm paying 75.00 a month,2 days a week.

Gonzaga's team is a straight mma and they have a brown belt instructor there too teaching JJ.

i think the more time you spend learning the better.you can't beat 6 days a week.

beers.gif

if there is any way u can swing it pay the 125 its well worth it. trust me been training for a while and going from 2days a week to 3 or 4 days aweek will make your game take off.

I have never practiced martial arts, but i have had them practiced on me a few times. I only know the cop choke hold and a thing i call Melvin Arts.cwm27.gif I surf fish all over SoCal beaches for the elusive California Corbina, and Halibut's, plastics only and 6 pound test max. Luckily my best lifetime fishing/quail hunting buddie has his own DoJo and takes care of my rough work. I tried to be smart and play football only now i limp around with fake front teeth, dizzy spells, sore back, knees, ankles, poorly set broken wrist, and a large scar on my chin. Everyday i miss running head first into someone that is running head first into me ! My hat's off to guys that do tough things that others might shy away from because they might get hurt. Keep up the fun and games and try a little corbina flinging while recooperating between bouts ! I lived in Huntington Beach for 8 years and drank beer in the Hula Girl, and Hurricanes bar and partied with alot of the pioneers of the sport . They were all good guys.. but lousey fishermen, a few did try !