Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

New Rio Short head test result!

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Just came in from test casting the new Rio Short 9 Wt Int that was sent to me. I cast it on both my 9 WT Scott STS and my 9WT TFO TICRX. I cast the Rio line side by side with a new Airflo Ridge 9 WT Int on both rods. To be brief, in my hands, the Rio kicked butt over the Airflo. One easy stroke and I had 90' of line through the guides. And, the running line had much less memory than Airflo. No need to say which line I'll be using this year.

Carlos, you were right! wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Spig

Spig, did you by chance compare the rio outbound standard head with the new short head rio outbound? I asked because when I bought 8wgt outbound last fall, the shop said it did not matter and that the short head was not out yet and the short head would not make a difference for me. Turns out they were saying this on the basis of needing more practice to improve, that shortening the head would not do it. Of course, Mr. Gawesworth at Rio may not agree with the no benefit to short head, but I wish I could switch it out for the newer short head as I have not used it yet but the shop put it on my reel. Oh, well Good luck with the new line. let us know if it makes a diff on the water!

Lou,

When did this line come out?

Lt me know how you are liking it... Unless I beat you to it, as I think I need one to replace a line I creamedsmile.gif

Is this "The Skagit" short head line?

View PostJust came in from test casting the new Rio Short 9 Wt Int that was sent to me. I cast it on both my 9 WT Scott STS and my 9WT TFO TICRX. I cast the Rio line side by side with a new Airflo Ridge 9 WT Int on both rods. To be brief, in my hands, the Rio kicked butt over the Airflo. One easy stroke and I had 90' of line through the guides. And, the running line had much less memory than Airflo. No need to say which line I'll be using this year.

Carlos, you were right! wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Spig

Wow, I am surprised and still skeptical at the same time. Rio running usually stinks in a big way. Airflow Ridge Int is my favorite int. by far. If it is true I will have to check it out. Just lawn casting??

Tight lines, Bob

View PostSpig, did you by chance compare the rio outbound standard head with the new short head rio outbound? I asked because when I bought 8wgt outbound last fall, the shop said it did not matter and that the short head was not out yet and the short head would not make a difference for me. Turns out they were saying this on the basis of needing more practice to improve, that shortening the head would not do it. Of course, Mr. Gawesworth at Rio may not agree with the no benefit to short head, but I wish I could switch it out for the newer short head as I have not used it yet but the shop put it on my reel. Oh, well Good luck with the new line. let us know if it makes a diff on the water!

Greenie, I once tried the older, longer head Rio and didn't like it. Also, the running line had too much memory. This new stuff is really different, and better. Casts very well for me and that is what counts. Thank you Mr Gawesworth.

View PostLou,

When did this line come out?

Lt me know how you are liking it... Unless I beat you to it, as I think I need one to replace a line I creamedsmile.gif

Is this "The Skagit" short head line?

John, this is the new "Outbound Short" coldwater line that Rio just came out with. Not Skagit, just a 9 wt int with something they call XS. I find the running line to be very limp and this line much easier to load than lines with longer heads.

View PostWow, I am surprised and still skeptical at the same time. Rio running usually stinks in a big way. Airflow Ridge Int is my favorite int. by far. If it is true I will have to check it out. Just lawn casting??

Tight lines, Bob

Foulhook, I understand your skepticism as I have been using and praising Airflo in the old version and the ridge line. However, I found out there is something that I cast better with on my 9 wts. May not be for you but I like it alot. For me it is the best casting 9 wt line I have ever used. Also, much less memory in the running line in the Rio than my Airflo Ridge. I like it when I can make one false cast and shoot a line 90'. BTW, yes it was only lawn casting but I didn't need water to let me know how much better my rods loaded with this new line.

FYI, this is a 375 grain line.

Spig

I have a few of the Tropical short head Outbounds--cast very well but so did the standard length Tropical out bounds. I use the intermediate tip. They are my go to lines in Baja

View Post

I like it when I can make one false cast and shoot a line 90'. BTW, yes it was only lawn casting but I didn't need water to let me know how much better my rods loaded with this new line.

FYI, this is a 375 grain line.

Spig

In addition to the better running line, I surmise that you are uplining using the Outbound Short relative to the Ridge and thereby getting the good distance with one backcast?

View PostIn addition to the better running line, I surmise that you are uplining using the Outbound Short relative to the Ridge and thereby getting the good distance with one backcast?

Negative. As I said in the original post, I used Airflo Ridge 9 WT Int line and Rio Outbound Short 9 WT line. No up lining involved. BOTH LINES ARE 9 WTS.

View PostNegative. As I said in the original post, I used Airflo Ridge 9 WT Int line and Rio Outbound Short 9 WT line. No up lining involved. BOTH LINES ARE 9 WTS.

My understanding is that Rio Outbounds come uplined right out of the package, hence the high grain weight in the first 30 feet for a "9 weight". If you get a chance check those two lines on a grain weight scale at 10, 20,30,40 and 50 feet. The head profiles should be interesting.

Spig

To your knowledge is this new Rio "Short" Outbound available to Fly Shops ?

Am very interested in what the head length is and grain wt by listed line weights. You said 9wt @ 375 gr, I think and wonder what heavier line wts will measure out at? Thanks for passing on what information and impressions you have.

Pete

I've got a couple and will try them out as well. They are available in flyshops now (like the Bear's Den). Bob, as far as your skepticism, RIO really worked hard on the running line to make it much better, so you should give it a try. I got to cast various prototypes in the process, and they just got better and better. Also, RIO has a tendency, I think, to have the best tapers (they just seem more innovative to me about tapers), and while I love that Airflo running line, the head on the 40+ Saltwater did have a tendency to dump. I think this line will roll out better. I loved casting the longer head Outbound, and for sheer distance, you can't beat it, but the shorter head should be a lot more fishable in the surf, chasing albies, and the like.

View PostSpig

To your knowledge is this new Rio "Short" Outbound available to Fly Shops ?

Am very interested in what the head length is and grain wt by listed line weights. You said 9wt @ 375 gr, I think and wonder what heavier line wts will measure out at? Thanks for passing on what information and impressions you have.

Pete

Head length is 30'.

Spig, how does this line differ from the Teeny 375? With the Teeny 375 sink, it's difficult to do anything but a water haul and then shoot. Is the Outbound Short pretty much the same considering the weight is the same?

"9wt @ 375 gr", you said.

Your enthusiastic description of your first time casting of the Rio line on the lawn leads most of us to want to purchase the line but, before doing so, we look forward to your further reports about how it casts on the water. That's going to be most important because so many lines lawn-cast really well but, once on the water, they become the same as most others.

Please be sure to post again when the weather warms and you get a chance to get out in the salt and give this line a real try! Thanks.

the outbound short intermediate to me cast like a rocket. it does not hinge like a sink tip. It is designed for a minimum of false cast.

It loads quickly so you can shoot like on your back cast and then shoot the rest on the forward cast. I use it for warm water albies, and i loved it in Baja for casting at breaking roosters and jacks.