Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Black Cloud

Carp thru the ice ?

20 posts in this topic

Got one today about 15 lbs and it was a blast , so my question .Is this just a once in a while thing or can they actually be targeted? I could save alot of $$$ on shiners catching small fish most of the time driving to cape etc when these are practically in my backyard . Caught a few last summer wich were my first experiences with these fish and found that they were real spooky but I am thinking that on the ice you have more of an advantage from more than one aspect so if any experts on this matter would care to chime in on this subject please do. Also wondering about the legality of corn as bait in Massachussetts. Thanks CS icon26.gif

Oh yeah and any fish that fights like that does not deserve to be called a trash fish. I have caught some pretty large fish in my life and as far as freshwater is concerned fight wise in Newengland it is probably # 1 on the charts unless ya got big stripers in a freshwater section of a river wink.gif then it would be # 2

Across the Atlantic in goofy land, carp are a major sport fish... I wouldn't say as big as bass fishing over here, but they are certainly not looked at as a trash fish in Europe. They grow huge, Fight like crazy, and take quite a bit of skill to target and catch them consistently.

As for your question, they are like any other warm water species, they feed year round but do slow down considerably. So catching them through ice obviously as you learned is not out of the question.

Funny thing is I've read, from more than one source, that carp completely shut down from late October through March and don't eat anything at all. Sort of like a hibernation. Yet I hear of people catching them every year in the dead of winter, often time through the ice. Just goes to show that you can't believe everything you read.

I've also hear they don't feed at night. That's my favorite time to fish for them! cwm12.gif

I've got small carp in my pond... they eat year round. I go out and break a hole in the ice and feed them every couple days, they don't go nuts for food like they do in the summer but they still eat. I don't really know of any fish that actually hibernates... At least in this area, every species I've caught in the summer I've also caught in the winter (except migratory species of course)

I catch shiners thru out the whole winter except for now that there is too much ice in my usual spot and they do feed less on frigid days and lots on warmer rain or overcast days using only white bread I would imagine that carp and golden shiners somewhat act the same they sure look close

View PostFunny thing is I've read, from more than one source, that carp completely shut down from late October through March and don't eat anything at all. Sort of like a hibernation. Yet I hear of people catching them every year in the dead of winter, often time through the ice. Just goes to show that you can't believe everything you read.

I've also hear they don't feed at night. That's my favorite time to fish for them! cwm12.gif

I discussed the night feeding thing with a guy who fishes them alot.

I had notied the bite would often be hot aroudn sunset but stop once it was almost completely dark. and also assumed they did not feed at night.

He explained that it picks up again later in the night, around midnight or later.

I never tried it myself, but its an interesting idea.

Congrats on the 15lber. For something that big through the ice there should be a pic of it. Ice fishing for carp is possible in the winter you just gotta be where they congregate for the winter. There are no limits as to using corn in MA waters. Chum as much as you like and you should do well.

Carp fishing is getting very popular in the US, mostly from the East coast to the MidWest. You can fish for them all year round. During the winter months, you will find carp by warm water discharges or in a deep hole by boat. In the fall months October - November they do not shut off, its just that their habitat needs to be known in order to keep up with them. My shutoff time is when lakes and ponds are frozen. Ice fishing for them can be tough but it can be done. Drill your self a bunch of holes on the ice and put a good hand full in each hole the night before you fish. You should be into them but they dont feed that aggressively as they do in warmer months.

View PostI discussed the night feeding thing with a guy who fishes them alot.

I had notied the bite would often be hot aroudn sunset but stop once it was almost completely dark. and also assumed they did not feed at night.

He explained that it picks up again later in the night, around midnight or later.

I never tried it myself, but its an interesting idea.

Night time in the summer is the best time to get them. The come in close at night and hang out in the shallower waters. I have a better success rate at night so if you like fishing for carp , best to get a good lighting system.

View PostCongrats on the 15lber. For something that big through the ice there should be a pic of it. Ice fishing for carp is possible in the winter you just gotta be where they congregate for the winter. There are no limits as to using corn in MA waters. Chum as much as you like and you should do well.

Carp fishing is getting very popular in the US, mostly from the East coast to the MidWest. You can fish for them all year round. During the winter months, you will find carp by warm water discharges or in a deep hole by boat. In the fall months October - November they do not shut off, its just that their habitat needs to be known in order to keep up with them. My shutoff time is when lakes and ponds are frozen. Ice fishing for them can be tough but it can be done. Drill your self a bunch of holes on the ice and put a good hand full in each hole the night before you fish. You should be into them but they dont feed that aggressively as they do in warmer months.

View PostNight time in the summer is the best time to get them. The come in close at night and hang out in the shallower waters. I have a better success rate at night so if you like fishing for carp , best to get a good lighting system.

As for the pic I know did'nt even have a camera with me as I was'nt expecting but to catch a few small bass, white perch or pickeral, when I finally got to this trap he had almost the whole spool dumped out and he faught like a train, I would get him half way in and he would run half way out had a 10 inch hole and he barely fit kinda had to squeeze him thru .The chum idea is exactly what I did early in the morning and the bite did'nt happen till 3 pm I was wondering about nite fishing them what kind of lighting system do you reccomend and what is your nite time setup also been looking into the gear for these fish what is up with the tripod rod holders what is their purpose any info is great these fish in the summer remind me of redfishing in florida but I don't have to get on a plane I am gonna give it a try for real this time thru the ice I have an better idea where there might be a few biggies near the boston area granted the ice is safe there . in the summer do you shore or boat fish I can do both I have a canoe any input on this is great thankyou

Just wanted to echo what others have said about fishing for them at night. It's true the bite does slow down during the transition from dusk to night...but I believe that's because they move in from the deeper water (where you're likely fishing them) and move right up against the banks to feed in shallow water. To answer your question, Ditch, about fishing from boat or shore: if it's at night I'd highly suggest fishing from the shore. Small bits of dough or corn placed right along the shoreline works best for me. If you think you're fishing too close to the bank, in too shallow water - put it even CLOSER. I'm telling you, from my experience, if they were to move in any closer they'd have to grow legs!

I barely even fish for them during the day anymore. Too much competition around where I fish. I laugh at the fact that everyone else packs it up at sunset and goes home. When they do, I go right over to where they were fishing and drop a doughball at my feet and have a blast!