Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WadingWill

Surf-Casting on vacation... 2 part question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm planning a vacation with my wife in late April or early May. I'm looking to go somewhere exotic where I might have a shot a catching something from the beach. We were looking at Costa Rica, but the flight prices are ridiculous and we can't find any without 1 day lay-overs. Now I'm thinking maybe Mexico, somwhere on the Baja. Can anyone make any recomendations, have any of you caught fish from the shore on vacation?

Also, can anyone make a recomendation on a good travel rod that won't break the bank? I plan on bringing my VS250 so I'd like to get a 10' travel rod for plugging.

Any info you guys could give me would help out alot. Thanks in advance.

For the rod google Albright conventional. Make sure you get to the Albright site. They are selling direct now at much lower than their old retail price points. Nice rods, great value.

For Mexico destinations search High Plains Drifter's posts.

WadingWill, you are in the same boat as myself. I will be heading to Cabo San Lucas mid-April and I'll be fishing from surf and pangas for roosterfish, crevalle, pargo, sierra, cabrilla, and other species. The resident man here at SOL for any surf fishing in Baja, Mexico would be High Plains Drifter. Anything he says you can take to the bank. He and several other lucky SOL members have taken many a trip down to Mexico over the years and they have caught Roosterfish over 80 lbs from the surf. At his strong recommendation, I will not be packing a multiple piece travel rod, but a two piece 10-11' surf rod. There are several benefits to a two piece over a 3 or 4 piece rod, and backbone is absolutely critical when muscling in big shouldered fish like roosters and jack crevalle that know how to use the waves against you. As for airline travel, I am picking up a Bazuka rod case, which is very strong but some modifications need to be made before you travel. For reel, I am bringing a Tica Scepter GX10000, again at the recommendation of HPD for its metal construction, long casting ability, huge spool depth, and cost effectiveness. You want to use braided line 50 - 65 # for the beaches with a 60 - 80lb mono leader for visibility and for toothy fish like pargo or sierra.

You can check out HPD's comprehensive guide to surf fishing baja mexico here: http://surfishmexico.pbwiki.com/ (non commercial link)

Good luck and maybe I'll see you on the beach. PM me if you need links to specific SOL threads, I have the juicy ones saved somewhere and I will send them to you asap.

I used to go to Mexico every year and always brought surf fishing equipment. I learned that it is very difficult to purchase fishing tackle there. I had to buy cheap silver bangles, bang them into solid pieces, and tie on hooks to replace lost lures. The message is - don't expect to be able to buy replacement tackle down there. Of course I haven't been there fo 15 years.

View PostI used to go to Mexico every year and always brought surf fishing equipment. I learned that it is very difficult to purchase fishing tackle there. I had to buy cheap silver bangles, bang them into solid pieces, and tie on hooks to replace lost lures. The message is - don't expect to be able to buy replacement tackle down there. Of course I haven't been there fo 15 years.

This is true if you are visiting one of the lesser known or smaller resort areas, but Cabo San Lucas has two major saltwater tackle stores, Minervas and Stephen Jansen's store dedicated to surf fishing. The latter honestly has everything you need to surf fish the mexican pacific or the cortez side. However, I advise bringing everything you need, just be sure to stop by Jansen's store for the low down on surf fishing conditions and spots, he is a real gentlemen and used to guide in Cabo. He makes a custom lure called the cabo killer which is a top catcher for roosterfish and jack crevalle. He won't have a problem telling you where to catch fish since surf fishermen are few and far between in Cabo; most tourists go for offshore fishing for big game species. There are also a couple surf fishing guides around, but I only know of one young guy recommended by Jansen who may or may not be guiding at the time you visit, since he's in college up in SoCal at the moment. PM me if you want his e-mail. Guided surf trips are inexpensive and they are a real bonus because the guide will take you to the good spots in his 4x4, or else you'd have to rent or take a taxi and find places by yourself in a very limited vacation period. Good luck.

View PostWould you mind also sending me the some good threads on surf fishing in Cabo?

Thanks,

Brian

Search posts by mfishter and High Plains Drifter and you will find what you're looking for.