Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeBlue

Frost Fish

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

When I was young boy, more than several decades ago, a man came by our house one night and dropped off a burlap bag with about a dozen 'frost fish' in it. I remember that were all less than a foot long, some of them half that, and were thin and I think without scales. My mother, the only child of a bayman, told me that they a kind of codfish. She said that on cold winter nights they would get caught in the surf, stunned by the cold and would wash up on shore. If there was sufficient moonlight you could walk the beach and pick them up. Does anyone know anything about this, I know that I didn't dream it.

Also, if anyone is interested there is a seal haulout just east of Moriches Inlet opposite the County campground on the bluff. It is acrossed the channel from the dredge staging area. I see them there in the afternoon, there are anywhere from 10 to 20 there at a time. Since they are on the sandbar I would guess that the tide needs to be low.

When I first started with the Park Police down at Smith Point Park in 1972 we used to go frost fishing all of the time. We used to go out on the beach on really cold nights, the waves would come up and the fish would be frozen to the sand we would get out of the truck grab as many as we could get back in the truck and wait for the next wave to bring more up. They were whiting.

I haven't seen them in years the drag boats sucked them all up. When you mention this to people they think you're pulling their leg but every once in awhile you'll run into someone that remembers it. They were fun times.

Yes frost fish = whiting. I never caught any from shore but used to catch them on Sheepshead Bay party boats. You could fill a burlap bag on a winter day in the '70s. Whiting and Ling. All I remember about it is how cold it was.

When people refer to frostfish they are definitly talking about whiting.my grandfather owned a fish store in Jamaica.my father told me how when he was young he would to the rockaways to pick them off the beachs.this was in the 1920's.spent many a cold winter day fishing for whiting out of Sheepshead bay in the early 60's and 70's.in the spring. we would fish on my fathers boat off Moriches and load up on whiting.the russian fleet would be almost right on the beach.