Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lbifisherman429

Lead eyes

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Not exactly but some years ago I saw an article where a guy was melting solder and pouring it into bead chain eyes for weight.I tried it but found it to be a PIA so I gave it up.

View Postdoes anyone make thet're own lead eyes?

if so how

you talking about from melting lead,mold it and painted. that a whole lot of time you can save. anything that can save you a step less from your tyiing.

if you're planning on buying the chrome ones and paint them is ok.

LBI -

I pour a ton of lead for sinkers, jigs etc of all sizes.

I tried to make a mold for those Slugo Nails. I go through a ton of them as do most of my friends. I figured I'd be the hero if I nailed that mold.

I failed a few times using different materials for the mold. I was talking with a VERY experienced machinist who makes custom molds for jigs etc. I asked him about small items such as these slugo weights or dumbell eyes.

Suffice it to say, It wouldn't really be worth the time.

the eyes are too small to hand pour and thus require a centrifuge mold. that required more gear than 1,000,000,000 dumbell eyes cost.

I am all for making everything, but in these instances, buying is just better.

I love quality necks, but I don't have any chickens running around the backyard.......just yet.

- ATG

Next time you pick up some lead eyes, give them a good look. They're usually turned, not molded. I'm 300% certain there's a very good reason for this. I'm a true blue D.I.Y. guy, if I can make it happen there's no way I'll buy it, and I could care less if it's cost effective.