Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raven01

flies size for 6wt (saltwater)

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Hi ,

I have a quick question.

I am planning to use a 6wt for spring schoolies and some smalle bluefish in back bays. I read on this forum that a 6wt is enough , but I am trying to figure out the flies sizes that I can possibly cast with this rod. I heard about a range of clousers/deceivers in the 6-2 hooks size. Is this correct? Can I cast size 4 gurglers or size 2 poppers?

thank you

Ray

When you are choosing flies to fish with a 6wt, the biggest thing to look at is windage on the fly. Choosing smaller flies will definitely make them easy to cast, but you could also choose slightly large flies in patterns that will have less wind resistance as you cast them, such as surf candies or ray's flies. Poppers tend to have a lot of air resistance and tend resemble casting a styrofoam cup. As long as you stick to smaller sizes of poppers, you should'nt have too much trouble casting them. Gurglers size 4-2 should be ok to cast as well.

What you can cast is largely dependent on you and the line. If you want to be able to fish multiple flies, you can overline a bit. The rod i usually use for fishing worm hatches is a 9' 6" wt. that I overline with an 8 wt. or 9 wt. line to make it easier to fish a foam gurgler and wooly bugger at the same time. I'll also fish 2 or three ray's flies or a gurgler and a ray's fly for schoolies with this rod.

It really depends on several factors, among them the casting profile of the fly (I was fishing a tandem rig of flies on 1/0 hooks this fall on my 5 weight), the grain weight of the line, the length of the leader, wind conditions, etc.

Perhaps a good way for you to find out would be to tie some flies on and have a little casting session in the yard. :-)

I see Rhodyflyguy beat me to the punch by seconds.

If one is going to over line the rod why not just fish the 7-8-9wt outfits instead? Somehow I just don't see the logic in fishing a 6wt without fishing it's proper line weight. I know heavier lines will cast more fly resistance/weight but to me you are now effectively fishing that size outfit instead of a 6.

I use a very fast action 5wt with a 5wt sink tip line for Croakers, weaks, flounder, and school stripers. My fly size selection goes from sparsely dressed unweighted 4's up to size 10 mini conehead woolybuggers. Condition need to be right for me to select this rod instead of one of my others and when everything is right it's a hoot to use. But one must recognize it's limitations. She is no 10wt wink.gif

I fish a 6 wt. because the average 15-20" fish you catch while fishing worm hatches really don't put up much of a tussle on an 8 or 9 wt. That said, you do occasionally run into larger fish, but I had fish to 33" this year, and that one had no trouble swimming away after a relatively short fight. That said, i is a 6 wt., and would be about the last tod that I'd reach for fishing the surf or a reef.

Last year I used a 6/7wt with 6wt sinking line and some flies tied on #6 Gamatsu (sp) circle hooks. This worked well for me, but I could have gone larger or smaller a bit if needed.

Rhody, I kinda figured it was for fight factor and feel but instead of suggesting a chuck n duck method of overlining you could get a long 10-10.5' soft action 8wt and effectively feel the fishes fight more than a 9' 6wt and still be able to experience the feel of good casting. JMHO

Very respectfully, the proper line weight for any rod is the line weight that makes the rod sing for you. What's the point of fly fishing with matched, by-the-book rods and lines if you can't cast them or they're making you miserable?

Fisherman I understand fully what you mean and agree. Over the years I did have a 9.5' orvis that needed 2 line weights more to cast right for me but I don't think the overlining suggestions here were to make the rod cast better as much as it was overlining to carry larger or heavier flies. Just the way I was reading it. If it was meant to improve the way a rod cast within the design intents of the manufacturer then I misunderstood the post.

Hi Jim,

Then there are rods that are designed not as an "X weight," but rather to accommodate a range of line sizes/weights. I own two of these rods, a 7' Andy Manchester Sceptre small stream and a Ken Abrames 10'6" Salmo Saxatilis. I love both of them, and it's interesting how different line weights interact with each individual rod.

I would encourage everyone to try different grain weight lines on your rods. You may be in for a pleasant surprise. :-)

Getting back on point,I usually throw sz2 or smaller.My Clousers are weighted with bead chain or very small lead eyes.The decievers and blondes are sparse and I dont use any epoxy on them.This will cut down on unnecessary weight.Bonefish flies work well on a 6wt as will smaller gurglers.Seaducers are a good,lightweight fly also.

If we were casting in fresh water then I doubt many of us would e happy to cast anything much over a Long shanked size 10 or 8 at the biggest. We are really pushing it unless it is pretty calm or wind on a fourable shoulder. A size 2 is quite a handful for a 6wt. Maybe a 4 or 6 might be a better bet. I personally would not try and fish more than one fly as two will serious effect the cast and just has more chance to tangle up. 6wts fly lies are not great at delivering big payloads. They were never intended for that. Small skinny flies are very effective.

I gues you must be fishing ery quite back bays and marshes. Something I would love to do one day as a change from getting battered in the surf.

Mike