Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bassliner

Preferred method for Acoustic Footprint in Flies

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Related to the recent thread on 'Fly Presence' - so far a brief discussion on the importance of designing flies that push water:

When you are tying a pattern that has a 'big head' (or anything else that gives it the ability to push water), what is your preferred method?

My curiosity in part is driven by my own divided opinion between wool and deer hair at the head of my muddler-type flies. I'm not sure which I like better since they each have their good points.

I would like to hear from the experts on this fine forum. You guys are the best!

I like thicker heads made of stiffer materials with long, flowing hackles or herl rearward. Pictured is a thick head of palmered peacock, peacock fibers and peacock herl with rooster and emu hackles for the tail. Deer or fleece can both be tied to move water, they both work and I have caught many fish on both...but I am by no means an expert...

in_hand.jpg

View Post...but I am by no means an expert...

in_hand.jpg

...he said, holding the gorgeous fly....drool.gif

I have noticed this style of fly as a popular one among the posters here. I have no experience tying or fishing such flies, which is why I posed the question - I have a feeling I'm still thinking 'inside the box'. Very interesting and helpful. Thanks for your input!

Bassliner,

I do not exclusively use flies with a big footprint but I always feel better about my chances with flies that provide resistance to my retrieve. I like to Feel the fly on the other end of my fly line.

BobPop

View PostBassliner,

I do not exclusively use flies with a big footprint but I always feel better about my chances with flies that provide resistance to my retrieve. I like to Feel the fly on the other end of my fly line.

BobPop

Well said BobPop, having fished 85% of my life with spinning gear, I know exactly what my plug is doing when I can see and feel a certain rhythmic throbbing of my fishing pole tip. I know exactly what speed retrieve I need to impart for the optimal action out of my lures. This is especially helpful at night. I need to develop this same sense with my fly fishing equipment.

Precisey what you are saying.