Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Super Googan

Cabo/Boca anti reverse failure

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm not sure that the Cabo/Boca reels are much different than any other.

The one-way roller bearings used to provide infinite anti reverse are very sensitive to both contamination (even by grease from inside the reel) and corrosion. This applies to any reel, made by pretty much anyone.

If its sealed like in a VS or a Zeebaas that helps, but they still can either be contaminated or corrode and fail- its just not as easy. They do provide infinite A/R with low potential for failure, though.

The simple ratchet style A/R mechanisms like in the old Penn Z series reels are really a robust design even though they don't provide infinite A/R.

I posted something similar about a month ago - I have 4 cabo spinning reels (20 , 2 40's and a 50) and I did have an anti reverse problem with one of the 40's.

In fact, I returned it and today (because of some Cabela coupons I have), I'm heading to Cabelas to replace it while using some coupons I received via email.

Is your problem reel a newer one? The reason I ask is because the issue I had was with one I bought this past summer while two of the other three are two years (or more) older...My 20 is also new and has had no problems.