How to get green gunk off penn chrome

Rate this topic

The second part of your question is the easy part. Just keep the reel clean.

To remove it there are several techniques that work to some degree. You can almost always get the green off, but whether or not there will be any chrome left underneath it depends on how bad it is. An easy way is to get a Miracle Cloth and go to work rubbing the chrome with the cloth. Another technique that I've just started to use is to make a solution of white vinegar and hot water and soak the chrome parts in it overnight. (3 parts hot tap water, 1 part vineger.) Then scrub it off the next day.

View PostSometimes you can find them in hardware stores but your best bet is fleabay.

with the shipping charges now on fleabay it has to be a very low priced reel

I have seen 19.95 for shipping on Penn 501

WTH What The Fluke ?

is up with that

and that was just fed ex ground rate a week in tranist

I use LimeAway. Unsure if you can get that in the states. If not, then CLR is OK, just spendier than the LimeAway.

I put the sour pieces in a little tub that sour cream, margarine, etc comes in, and spray the pieces. Once there is liquid coming back from the spray, I swish. Then I remove, let drip some, rinse, Then, I put the liquid back in the bottle. That way, I can maximize the contents of the LImeaway.

The green is the result of the chrome getting broken open, to let the brass out, to go green.

View Postwith the shipping charges now on fleabay it has to be a very low priced reel ........

I just took a look and I see several Miracle Cloths at a reasonable price and free shipping.

I would snatch one up. They are handy to have for cleaning/polishing any kind of metal.

• 1 month later...