Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Awesome John

Okey lets talk "Gulp" tinkering. How are you souping up your gulp baits? Tricks+Mods

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Okey the "Gulp" stuff is on fire, rightfully so it works, even my lockjawed fish over here in Turkey eat this stuff, even my cat ate this stuff,

So the scientists at berkley have a winner...

But we are surfcasters, we tinker with every freeken thing, put magnets on reels, bait into wooden plugs, Colorado blades on the back siwash hooks of charlie graves tins, we soup up everything...

How have you souped up, modded or adapted the gulp bait into your fishing?

Okey heres mine...

first of all I searched high and wide for a decent jig to use on these stinky slippery things. After a long exhausting expensive search I found the perfect jigs for these berkley gulp baits!

They are called the "Stingamajig ,the bio buddy and the shrimpaler" and they are made in the USA by a very cool guy down south by the name of Bayou Buck. These jigs have it all.. the hooks are unbelievably sharp and "strong!!!!"

The weights are "light" enough to keep the stealth presentation of the gulp bait intact. Just insert the jig into the body of the gulp bait and cast...

and they have an "very clever" serrated neck thats called a "locking collar" once inserted into the Gulp bait it stays put... so put that you cant take off the gulp bait.. you got to cut it of.. I'm serious... ingenious system creates a suction vacume that keeps the bait from slipping off during snao casting...

I am very happy with their performance and for a jig that made in the USA they are downright inexpensive... which is always a welcome feature.. like 2 and change for three jigs ...

they wont replace the true striper jigs sold here in our SOL online store which are the best available anywhere.. but these are different..they are nitche jigs...they are "made for and designed for the biological stink baits",

secındly Ive learned to "custom cut" the Gulp baits.... I put a few cuts into the curly tails tails of the swiming mullets, this has made a difference in calm shallow water.

Also I have (and this has proven to be deadly) cut very small thin fork tailed pendants shapes out of the Gulp baits sheets... and hooked them through the head and cast the out on a casting float and long floro leader on moonlit nights. In shallow water over weeds and rocks it gets blasted!!!!

Ive also heard of people using them with squid strips as a combo.. anyone doing that out there?

What are your Gulp bait tricks?

I have found that if I leave a gulp sandeel out of the bag for a bit - the drive down to the shore - it get a little tougher and then i put it back in the secret sauce. It helps them last a little longer.

Russ, where did you find them?

- Rhinoscores

View PostI have found that if I leave a gulp sandeel out of the bag for a bit - the drive down to the shore - it get a little tougher and then i put it back in the secret sauce. It helps them last a little longer.

Russ, where did you find them?

- Rhinoscores

Greg

I make them. If you are at the VAULT tommorrow I'll show you how.

Very easy to do.

Russ

Erie stand-up jigheads with O'Shaughnessy sea guard hook. Used them for flounder, had more action and less snags.

View Postover here in Turkey

Do you have access to the 2009 DAM Quick SLR surf reels?

I've spent alot of time the last couple of years down in SE Georgia and all over Florida hunting Redfish. Mission Fishin JigHeads are the way to go when using Gulp Shrimp or CurlyTails. The bait stays on the jig hardly ever slipping. They have a baked on powder coat that holds up against oysters and rocks. These jigheads also have very stout mustad hooks. The problem is finding them. Even in Florida where they're made it can be tough. Gold spoons with a Gulp strip are another fav.

Using a 2" Gulp shrimp as teaser during the Spring in places like Barnegat Bay in NJ are killer on picky stripers. How about a Gulp Eel + Pt. Jude wobble head. I've never used this combo but I'm sure it would work.

View Post

Do you have access to the 2009 DAM Quick SLR surf reels?

hey that dont look too shabbydrool.gif

yes they have them here online here in the Turkish online stores

06_quick_slr_surf_1.gif

about $120 bucks here...

WoodErie stand-up jigheads with O'Shaughnessy sea guard hook. Used them for flounder, had more action and less snags.

icon14.gif

kayalcrazy "Gold spoons with a Gulp strip are another fav.

Using a 2" Gulp shrimp as teaser during the Spring in places like Barnegat Bay in NJ are killer on picky stripers. How about a Gulp Eel + Pt. Jude wobble head. I've never used this combo but I'm sure it would work".

great tips guys icon14.gif

anybody using gulp for a stationary presentation like a fish finder rig?

I always wonderd if that worked? For say like Gulp sandworms and slams?

I was in Instanbul last summer and there were hundreds of guys fishing. The bridge was elbow to elbow. They had the longest most powerful collapsible rods I have ever seen!! these rods were 12 foot if they were an inch and the hooks looked like they should have been using maggots for bait. The funny part was that all they were catching were one of 10 varieties of sardines.

They did say further up the Bospherus straits were bigger fish and they did seem to be having fun. Like fisherman everywhere they were very friendly although I didn't know what the &^$^ they were saying.

smile.gif

AJ deadsticking Gulp does work. You can also use a dropshot or carolina rig to very slowly drag/bounce your bait. Also try fishing a 3" gulp shrimp on a 3/4oz football jig for Fluke in the surf. If you use a lite outfit and drag that thing slowly on the bottom they can't let it go by.

I've used the swimming mullet on a hook by itself. The rig, was the type you'd typically use for killies or spearing/squid. A 3way swivel, one eye of the swivel for the mainline, the next eye for a clip with a weight attached, and the last eye for the leader w/hook.

I hooked the gulp about 3/8 in, almost like you were hooking a killie through the lips (but instead of pretending your going through the lips on the mullet, got through the head). This worked for me and I caught fish this way, but I didn't find it to work as good as fishing them on a jighead.

I've also seen alot of guys fish them on a high low rig, with the weight being a jighead with a gulp, and above about a foot another weightless hook with a 2nd gulp.

All in all, I prefer to fish one gulp, on 1jighead. tongue.gif

look at these bad arse Bayou Buck jigs..

absolutely Bio bait designed killer razors

all with no slip collars, you slip them all the way in the Gulp and you got a wicked stealth presentation strong enough to take a large fish.

IMG_2576-s.jpg

sting1-150w.jpg

shrimpaler-150w.jpg

this one below is the shrimpaler, you screw it into the head and leave the est like a keel under the bait.. great to put into the under slits of the Gulp jerkbaits .. again making the jig invisible inside the Bait.

shrimpaler2-s.jpg

You gotta admit this is some wicked stuff hereheart.gif

Yes, crabs and worms gulp used on a high low caught myself lots of fish.

Also caught fish on a gulp eel\\wobble head combo. But that looks so tight that any kind of rubber eel would probably work. Doubt scent is a factor in any of it.

Those shrimpaler hooks work well under a popping cork. However because of those super collars changing baits is a big pain. You have to rip the bait apart in order to remove it. And if you happen to forget about a Gulp and let it dry up on the shrimpaler. Get out a sharp knife your going to need to slice that sucker off.

Power Lock Plus Mustads are awesome for the weedless rigging of gulp jerkbaits. You can slide the weight on them to adjust your presentation. Snook and Redfish love those jerkbaits on the edges of grass flats.

Hey guys I just talked bayou Buck into making 3/8 ounce bio jigheads for us striper folks who need a heavier "Gulp jig" for our type of fishing in faster current.

So thats a cool acomplishment....

now you can pre order them from bayou Buck . he should have them in a couple of weeks...drool.gif