Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeM58

It's Tough to be the Boss these Days

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have over 100 employees that report to me directly or indirectly. With the economic downturn, it's becoming a drag going to work some days. Our business is doing well considering the economics of the times, but that could change in a heartbeat. I've had to lay off all of our temp employees, which was tough, since some had been with us for almost a year in hopes of become "full time" with full pay and benefits. None of these folks did anything wrong, they were just caught in slow times. I've also had to cut back on overtime, and that's been tough on some of our workers with big families. I see the desperation in their eyes when they ask me if I think the OT will be coming back soon. I've had to terminate a few recently, and, although that's usually not a big deal (they get plenty of chances with our progressive discipline policy), it's harder when you know they are supporting families. How anyone could not understand that this is not the economic time to be cutting corners at work is beyond me. As a leader (who needs to hold on to his own job) I have to put the needs of the business first, but as a man who cares about people, it weighs on my mind sometimes. These days it sucks to be the boss if you have a shread of decency. Thanks for letting me vent.

frown.gif yeah i feel for the bosses out there that are doin the right thing and their companies arent crooks.... what industry you in???... I had to see half my company i work for get the ax last week frown.gif....

Mike, I'd guess from talking with you here for several years that you are doing a trying job with good intentions and honor. Your post shows that you are still doing your best for your people in difficult times. It's all they could ask, although some will not know it. A leader knows the job that has to be done and looks out for his flock. I'd be honored to work with a guy who made the kind of post that started this thread. clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif