Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nige

moving to Ft Myers

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi I am from Ireland and more than likely will be moving to Ft Myers within the next year. Over here I fish mainly from beaches on the atlantic coast. I also fish competitions. Just wondering is there any clubs in the Ft Myers area that fish competitions? As for rods and reels I intend on bringing all my fishing gear with me. I have a 13ft Abu Stigma multiplier rod which i use a penn 525mag with, and a 15ft k2 blue metal which i use a penn fixedspool with. Will that do me for starters? Any information would be great smile.gif

Thanks

nige

I think you might find those rigs a bit to big, unless you're shark fishing? Although I am not positive, I live on the east coast of FL and I beleive Ft. Myers is on the Gulf side. Got any smaller gear? I would still bring whatever you've got, if nothing else you could likely trade it someplace for somthing more fit to your needs.

View PostHi I am from Ireland and more than likely will be moving to Ft Myers within the next year. Over here I fish mainly from beaches on the atlantic coast. I also fish competitions. Just wondering is there any clubs in the Ft Myers area that fish competitions? As for rods and reels I intend on bringing all my fishing gear with me. I have a 13ft Abu Stigma multiplier rod which i use a penn 525mag with, and a 15ft k2 blue metal which i use a penn fixedspool with. Will that do me for starters? Any information would be great smile.gif

Thanks

nige

Well if in fact you are moving to Fort Myers welcome!! People have been moving here to warm up before they die for over 50 years now. It is a crazy land of half blind 70-90 somethings driving into and over anything in their way. Fishing is great as long as you know how to read the water and know the tides. you will not need any set up over 7 feet unless it is a fly rod. I can not stress this enough wear 50 spf sun screen you skin will thank you for it. The UV index here is usually above 11 which means you will burn in less than 15 minutes exposed to the sun without any SPF on. Skin cancer runs ramped here so gear up properly and enjoybeers.gif

View PostHi I am from Ireland and more than likely will be moving to Ft Myers within the next year. Over here I fish mainly from beaches on the atlantic coast. I also fish competitions. Just wondering is there any clubs in the Ft Myers area that fish competitions? As for rods and reels I intend on bringing all my fishing gear with me. I have a 13ft Abu Stigma multiplier rod which i use a penn 525mag with, and a 15ft k2 blue metal which i use a penn fixedspool with. Will that do me for starters? Any information would be great smile.gif

Thanks

nige

There isn't much you can do with the big rods from the beach here, except shark fishing. A nice medium action spinning rod of 7 ft would be perfect for beach snook and other inshore/nearshore species. Your best bet for Gulf fishing is either buy a boat or find a friend who has one.

Also good luck with your move.

The ft myers tarpon hunters have tournaments i think. there is no "match" fishing like in the "auld country". There are also fresh water bass fishing clubs. You will enjoy it here. No rotten lousy irish weather!!biggrin.gif