Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
srl

cts surf3-6 compared to afaw surf blanks

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I am wondering if anybody has used these blanks. The afaw is a whippy tip and this rod is best powered up IMO. Is the cts a faster action? I heard that the cts 3-6 means that 3 oz is the optimal weight and that 6 is the max. I think that i would like to make a spinner out of the cts with 3 to 4 oz as the primary weight used. Ill be using a modified brighton, or overhead flick. Does anybody have any oopinions?

don't let that whippy tip on the afaw surf fool you.

it will smoke 4-5oz!

am having a cts built spinning cause i think it has a little more potential for distance with 5oz.

Have the CTS 3-5. This rods' sweet for 3 and 4 oz. When you get to 5 oz. you are at the top of it's rating and starts to collapse with the modified pendulum cast.

it is the best lite long distance rod that I currently own. When it comes to fighting fish it is surprisingly capable. I have landed Bass into the low 40# range and Black Drum in the same wt. class.

If you want a rod with those ratings there is nothing better right now IMO.

Have also owned the AFAW and did not care for it. The rod will handle 5 oz. and also 6 oz. but again, at 6 you are at it's upper limit. There is a ton of rods that fit it's ratings and did not need another.

I should add that I wrapped both with a modified concept (mine) system guides.

I have a CTS, first model they made. Its gold, probably like 15-16 ft long. Good all around fishing machine, except it wont go near sand, or snow, or anything like that. It also wont pack a rod longer than 9 feet. And it has a $200 battery.

View PostHave the CTS 3-5. This rods' sweet for 3 and 4 oz. When you get to 5 oz. you are at the top of it's rating and starts to collapse with the modified pendulum cast.

it is the best lite long distance rod that I currently own. When it comes to fighting fish it is surprisingly capable. I have landed Bass into the low 40# range and Black Drum in the same wt. class.

If you want a rod with those ratings there is nothing better right now IM

Have also owned the AFAW and did not care for it. The rod will handle 5 oz. and also 6 oz. but again, at 6 you are at it's upper limit. There is a ton of rods that fit it's ratings and did not need another.

I should add that I wrapped both with a modified concept (mine) system guides.

Can you elaborate on your reasons for not liking the surf?

I have both the AFAW surf and the CTS 3-6.

The AFAW tip is light, just looking at it it looks and feels whippy. This rod casts a 5 oz great, has great bite detection, and is a GREAT rod.

The CTS 3-6 has a xtra fast tip, it too throws a 5 oz lead a mile, the bite detection is not quite as good as the AFAW.

The AFAW is great. The CTS is too, with the CTS you can just feel the power in the blank as you hit it.

You will love them both. I dont know if you could get a replacement AFAW if you had a warranty issue, where CTS does not have that issue.

good luck. both are great rods.

i was interested in purchasing the CTS and i was wondering which model was the most similar compared to the daiwa ballistic 2-10. I was looking at 3-6 13'6''. would you say that its the closest to the ballistic?

View Posti was interested in purchasing the CTS and i was wondering which model was the most similar compared to the daiwa ballistic 2-10. I was looking at 3-6 13'6''. would you say that its the closest to the ballistic?

how much weight are you looking to throw on average ?

the the weight rating of the CTS blanks are a more realistic #

the 3-6 or the 5-8 is a good choice depending on you target weight

i will be throwing a 3-4 oz trolling sinker. I will be targeting stripers and i need a rod similar to the ballistic. The way it is stiff, and has power to reel in fish fast. Will i be fine with the 3-6 or should i upgrade to a 5-8?