surfflyfish4stripers

Braid Line colors, what are the real facts?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jbaer said:

I've tried white braid and can't see it to save my life.  Thought it would be the complete opposite.  I stick with blue or moss green now.

You fish in the surf, with white sand?  If so, that makes sense.

I fish in the Ches. Bay, where the water is pretty green, and I often fish at night.   Even a little ambient light or a headlight shows up the line very clearly.   You can't see moss green at all where I fish.  Some guys around here use it to tie direct, but I always use a leader.

6 mins ago, thill said:

You fish in the surf, with white sand?  If so, that makes sense.

I fish in the Ches. Bay, where the water is pretty green, and I often fish at night.   Even a little ambient light or a headlight shows up the line very clearly.   You can't see moss green at all where I fish.  Some guys around here use it to tie direct, but I always use a leader.

I had it on one of my conventionals that I used for dead sticking bait, mostly during the daylight.  White does not have good contrast against the sky while Im watching rods.  Maybe I'll spool it onto one of my spinning reels I use up north in the rocks and at night.  Lol call it a poor decision on my part.

4 hours ago, triumph said:

The great Roland Martin (fisherman) claims to carry a tube of super glue and a black sharpie at all times. The glue is for knots and the sharpie is to color the last foot or so of braid when he ties direct.

triumph is spot on roland superglues the knots for a slight increase in knot strength then colors the line with black sharpie the last 10 ft/m

as needed....the guy is the boss...

For me, i use Softex on my FG knots instead of superglue. A bit more flexible and absorbs just as well. 

I have used blue, white, hot green and hot yellow braids and have noticed no difference in fish reaction. But I also run 6-12’ of mono from the FG knot to the terminal end. I never tie direct because I don’t want to handle 20-40# braid when landing a fish. 

Where I fish we have pelicans. The pelicans can easily see the yellow braid and will actively avoid it (especially if you shake your line a bit). The green braid they can’t see nearly as well (neither can I) and hit it all too often. So I use exclusively yellow braid (PP) or the bright chartreuse (Suffix) for the sake of the birds. I do typically use a 6’ flouro leader.

Edited by FatTailWagging

I have used white for the last few years on my tuna reels in SoCal, with a couple of reels with Maxcuatro in yellow. 

However, most of my surf fishing around SoCal waters involves jerkbaits or swimbaits and short to medium casts and I never really needed to worry about line color but when I fished for stripers in NorCal last week, I found out I didn’t really like white line at all. The foamy surf, low light conditions and especially when I was fishing topwaters I found it very very hard to follow my line or know where my lure was. 

I happened to get a snarky dig in my line and I had to cut off a hundred yards of line. That actually was sort of a blessing since I didn’t really like the line on the reel in the first place (got it free with the reel).

I switched over to neon green sufix 832 and I was able to see and follow my line  and lure so much better for the remainder of my trip. 

11 hours ago, triumph said:

The great Roland Martin (fisherman) claims to carry a tube of super glue and a black sharpie at all times. The glue is for knots and the sharpie is to color the last foot or so of braid when he ties direct.

I remember an old post by Tim S were he mentioned how he used a black magic marker to color several feet of his line nearest to his leader. I have been doing the same.