Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OCsurfcaster

How did you become a fisherman?

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

Im going to be 23 years old, but have only been fishing for about 2 years, my dad fished, but ever so often. And my brother and i would always go with him, i have always known how to fish, but i recognize that for about the last 2 years i have been obsessed with fishing. There for i consider that to be when i started fishing. I think it is because that was when i was finally done with the 4 main sports, football - basketball - hockey - baseball. I played all four in high school an football and hockey in college, after an ACL tear those days were over. Then out of no where one day my brother came home with an 8-ft St. Croix he bought for himself, the rest is history. I joined SOL and have never looked back. I was curious on how everyone else, regardless of age started to become a fishing nut, its the off season, lets hear the stories.beers.gif

I was bored, and my friend's mom took me and my friend out on a party boat. Got home, after catching a cod, cusk and a haddock, and looked on the internet for other fishing stuff. Found this site, and here I am. Only been fishing for a year, and I got my dad into fishing. Backwards, huh? kooky.gif

Started w/ mom when I was 8 or 9 at local ponds for sunfish with some corn or a worm under a bobber. That went on and off until I became a teenager and found out about bass fishing with lures. One thing led to another and I got into surf fishing, but I balance both because both are equally my passion.

yes the last 2 years you may have taken fishing more seriously

but the day you had a fishing pole in your had for the first time

you became a fisherman

now your just a crazed obssesed fishing monster

it started for me when i was 3 on dads boat

mac started at 1 1/2 in the stroller thanks to my dad

First sunfish caught from Lake Erie at five yrs old. The photo is truely horrifying (1962, dressed for family visit). I don't remember catching it but vividly remember eating it at my Great Aunt's house while the rest of the family chowed down on steak. Fished alot through Jr High, SW and fresh. Too cool to fish through HS. Discovered Trout on Summer college job in Wyoming then spent the next two yrs of college fishing farm ponds for bass. Gave it up after colllege until I had kids and we started renting at the shore. I discovered this place about that time and it's been downhill ever since. I may soon have to become a subsistence fisherman to put food on the table after spending most of disposable income on plug and gear fixes. Thanks Tim. smile.gif

Started with handline when I was about 6 or 7, as soon as I got my own car after high school, I took off for the coast and have been hooked on fishing since. I bought my first rod and reel, a Garcia rod with a Quick sppinner. It's been over 35 years since I first fish that set up.

my dad started taking me fishing when i was about 2 1/2 yo, my earliest memories are fishing with him. from then on i knew my mission....been a fisherman basicly my whole life and was fortunate to have my dad and uncle and a few other good mentors in my life. damn i love fishing!heart.gif

Parents/immediate family not into fishing never interest in taking me or my brother. Cousin very into fishing always used to ask my parents if he could take us.

He took me out he was mid 20's and I was not even 10 years old.

Long story short he was an experienced surfcaster and he took me to one of his spots early morning.

Bluefish blitz w/ fish in excess of 12 pounds, and Stripers over 20#'s

FIRST cast I was on with a big blue dog and from then on I was hooked. Took off from fishing for a while during high school but even worked a few charter boats here on LI through college and after...

JC