Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IrishStripes

inshore stick

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I would like to prepare a present for a friend but have only built 10' sticks. Please recommend a good lami or comprable blank in the 7' range one piece for fluke. mostly in less than 40' of water mostly bait occasional bucktail with mid size penn conventional( senator/jigmstr) with brided line for NS LI. If not too much trouble are the handle kits from mudhole any good or do you rec building the cork handle piece by piece. Its gotta be real cork no evas thanks

I have a very similar rod that I like very much. It's built on a Lamiglas Tri-Flex boat blank, and if you're looking for a 7-footer, the model you want is CGBT84-1L (mine is the same blank, but 6'6"). It makes a good fluking blank, especially if you're fishing in less than 40 feet of water. I have mine matched with a Penn 940, and it's my back bay favorite.

But I'll add one caveat: I built this rod before I knew of Billy40. If I were looking to build a similar rod today, I'd contact him and see what he's got (and no, I don't get a commission). When it comes to this kind of boat rod, Billy is the King. 40.gif

The GX7 is one sweet rod but.....Not for bucktails..If you want a great fluke bait & bucktail 2-4oz range & bass rod the Calstar GF700XLH.............

Works good for blackfish & seabass too...........