Usps

Rate this topic

DerrickT

View Post

They can't do it unless its approved. They're thinking tuesday since thats the slowest day.

Doubtful. That would mean that Letter Carriers would have Sunday/Tuesday off. What are the odds that sick calls on Monday wouldn't go through the roof? And again... Tuesday is a normal business day. These businesses need their mail.

View Post

But it'll decrease postal worker income.

How do you figure that? They'll still get 40 hours a week minimum. What a 5-day work week will do is allow the PO to operate with fewer personnel since they'll no longer need 6 day coverage.

View Post

If they stop delivering the mail another day that will only mean that there will be more to deliver the next day just like when its a Monday holiday.

First - keep in mind that mail volume is down. That's part of the reason that the PO was $2.8 billion in the red last fiscal year.

And if I'm not mistaken, the only mail that must be delivered is first-class mail. But other types can be held over 'til the next day or two. So if the mail volume is heavy, they can deliver the first-class and leave the other behind. Catch up during the week. Also, there's always overtime if mail volume is too heavy.

I'm speaking here of resedential delivery only:

Who here REALLY NEEDS mail delivered 6 days a week?

I'm not talking about wanting it but truly needing mail delivered every day but Sunday?

Residential delivery should be 3 days a week only.

Monday, Wednesday & Friday for one group.

Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday for the other group.

There! I just solved their problem. Cut the workforce in half overnight cwm27.gif

Now let's talk about junk mail and the peanuts the bulk mailers have to pay for each item compared to what we pay per letter. Yes,I know the junk mailers pay for the overhead but without them, the overhead would be minuscule.

The PO needs to simplify the process and get back to delivering mail and not be a part of the vastly wasteful advertising market. Just think of the saving if junk mail was eliminated or if they had to pay the same price as the rest of us per unit mailed....

View PostHow do you figure that? They'll still get 40 hours a week minimum. What a 5-day work week will do is allow the PO to operate with fewer personnel since they'll no longer need 6 day coverage.

No, it means that they'll have to lay off all the subs... some who have worked for 8yrs or more..

View PostFirst - keep in mind that mail volume is down. That's part of the reason that the PO was $2.8 billion in the red last fiscal year.

Actually, no matter what you read, or what the P.O. says, in the 15 yrs I worked for them, every year had more mail than the previous. Maybe first class mail was down, or parcels, but essentially, they're saying that to make the statistics lie for them...

And if I'm not mistaken, the only mail that must be delivered is first-class mail. But other types can be held over 'til the next day or two. So if the mail volume is heavy, they can deliver the first-class and leave the other behind. Catch up during the week. Also, there's always overtime if mail volume is too heavy.

Overtime is usually stopped short. And carriers are paid paid two different ways, depending whether they are city or rural carriers...(they even have different unions) Both ways are "averages", determined by an actual "mail count" conducted during several weeks of normal mail delivery...You're right in that first class mail must be delivered, and other mail can be held back until mail volume "catches up"...

I think this is going to be more then mail that is going to be cut. Does this mean more job losses? I think you are going to see more job cuts and loss of services. Is only regualr mail being stopped? How about Priority Mail? Will they still be processing the mail and getting it from on office to the other on Satruday? Who knows.....

Atlantic Saltwater Fly Rodders - Bayshore Saltwater Fly Rodders - South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers
BuzFly - Got Gooey Body or Foil? Share what YOU HAVE DONE, not what you have been told.

View PostI think this is going to be more then mail that is going to be cut. Does this mean more job losses? I think you are going to see more job cuts and loss of services. Is only regualr mail being stopped? How about Priority Mail? Will they still be processing the mail and getting it from on office to the other on Satruday? Who knows.....

That's where they want to cut expenses....in cutting jobs..(curtailing a day, means no pay for the carriers on that day, in this case, substitute carriers..) and all carriers have to serve as "subs" in order to gain enough seniority to qualify for the salaried position.

Mail that is "on route" would be delivered to the various post offices, but not to businesses or residences..Priority mail is basically first class mail, with priority delivery options...Basically, only the carriers would be effected...And they are always the only ones who take the fall...(and work the hardest) thru rain, sleet, snow, and pampered management....

View PostYou're right, that's why the substitutes work on Saturdays.....

And it's not a done deal yet...If they really want to economize, they need to do the same thing that other big businesses do....cut back on the executive's bonuses.....that has been draining the working man's salary for some time...and the post office's budget, but no one ever tells you that, except all the other employees...

Nice rant, but can you tell me what the total compensation was for the top 5 USPS executives in 2008? Surely it must be extremely excessive if the postal service is going to save 1.9 billion by paring down their salaries.

And you were a carrier? How much of your pensions' value did you lose in 2008 when most in the private sector lost over 40%?

I'll have mine on the rocks.

Coincidental I guess, but I was thinking about this yesterday, as I checked the mailbox, like a lemming, expecting there to be mail despite the snow and rain. Didn't bother me for a second that it wasn't there. John, our letter carrier, probably had his hands full.

I could do without mail on Saturday, or Tuesday. Wouldn't matter to me one bit, and if the postal authority is losing money, they need to cut back. icon14.gif

#otterlivesmatter

View Post

Now let's talk about junk mail and the peanuts the bulk mailers have to pay for each item compared to what we pay per letter. Yes,I know the junk mailers pay for the overhead but without them, the overhead would be minuscule.

The PO needs to simplify the process and get back to delivering mail and not be a part of the vastly wasteful advertising market. Just think of the saving if junk mail was eliminated or if they had to pay the same price as the rest of us per unit mailed....

Last I read, first-class mail carries the freight. The PO doesn't make a profit for delivering "junk" mail. However, I think the way the govt looks at is the revenue recouped from the advertisers makes it worth it. Those flyers (etc) generate sales which in turn generate tax dollars either directly or indirectly. The thinking seems to be that even though the PO loses money on delivering flyers to East Podunk, the govt gets a big ROI at the PO's expense.

View Post

Adding one more thought...

3 day work weeks of 12 hour days....

Good idea. But not in all cases. I recall reading some labor report a while back that clearly indicated that employee productivity falls off drastically after 10 hours of work. Point being 12 hours days may not be worth it.