Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassinJ

Poll Regarding Clip Restrictions

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Question is this, do you use clips with every type of lure/plug. Meaning on bucktails, swimshads, pencils, plastic swimmers, poppers, metal lips, metal/tins, darters, bottleplugs, etc..

The thing is, in the past I've used some lures without clips, I don't know some lures just seemed "funny" to me with a clip, which I talked about in a post awhile ago. Anyway, the problem with this, is you tend to go through alot of leader material, as your leader keeps getting shorter from cutting/tying. And it can be a PITA to keep having to tie on a clip again after your taking off the lure that you chose to direct tie to. Though I have yet to start using teasers I plan to, and I think if I kept doing the whole "clip on certain lures, but not on others" thing, then it would make using teasers difficult, as I'd keep having to re-tie them on when the leader becomes uncomfortably short.

So, all in all I wanted to get a understanding of how many people use clips with everything they throw, and how many see specific lures as "weird" on a clip, and have some restrictions. I am hoping majority say they use clips with everything, but will see how it goes. Thanks for voting, and for any advice smile.gif.

Before I found breakaway clips I often tied direct it was a habit I picked up from Bill Wetzel who swears by direct tying, plus I lost a couple fish using cross locks. Then I found breakaways and now I use breakaway clips for almost everything. At times I found working pencils weird when using clips but it may have just been the newb in me causing that.

So I dont have to retie every time I change plugs....much easire that way

Haven't noticed it effect the action too much - or that could be just because I'm googin smile.gif

View PostBefore I found breakaway clips I often tied direct it was a habit I picked up from Bill Wetzel who swears by direct tying, plus I lost a couple fish using cross locks. Then I found breakaways and now I use breakaway clips for almost everything. At times I found working pencils weird when using clips but it may have just been the newb in me causing that.

Surprised you lost fish with cross locks, other than the breakaways they are the only ones I have faith in.

added..........counting the days till sunday Mack?wink.gif

View PostBefore I found breakaway clips I often tied direct it was a habit I picked up from Bill Wetzel who swears by direct tying, plus I lost a couple fish using cross locks. Then I found breakaways and now I use breakaway clips for almost everything.

clapping.gifclapping.gifMy thoughts exactly.

I've been using Breakaways on everything except bucktails and lipless crankbaits (inside the bay). Both lipless cranks and bucktails are a PITA to put on the breakaways. I hang up bucktails too often to not tie direct.

Some poppers are not fun to put on breakaways either.

For those of you who use light tackle and lures and don't want the clip to impair the action and still want the convience of a clip or snap, make your own. Make them smaller and lighter to the diameter of wire than the commercially available crosslocks. Reliability and confidence factor is high. Search bending wire.