Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MorningWood

Diesel Help

14 posts in this topic

Before I call to have my truck towed to the dealer I thought I'd ask it here...

I have a Siverado 2500 HD Diesel that won't start. I think its due to the cold weather and either the fuel has gelled up or My gas lines or fuel filter has iced up. I have had the truck plugged in for two days and I let the glow plugs heat up before cranking but still nothing. I added some fuel conditioner last night and haven'tt tried starting it yet this morning but I'm not very hopeful. Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks I called the dealer and they walked me through priming the fuel filter, second try she started up. Its been running for about 20 minutes, I'm trying to make sure the fuel conditioner gets worked through the lines.

Replace your fuel filter regularly and always keep an eye on the water separator.

I had an issue with ice crystals in the fuel clogging the filter.

A new filter and the proper additives and the problem was solved permanently (so far)

The amount of kick left in the batteries is also important. After 5 years your batteries could be nearing the end of their useful life.

Kevin

Replace your Batteries, "crank speed is everything on a diesel"

If the problem was slow crank speed the batteries should solve that for you.

If you feel you had a fuel problem then read on.

Check out Opti-Lube XPD as an additive for winter use. "Google"

Note: untreated diesel shouldn't gel until your near 17 or lower.

This time of the year there is suppose to be some treatment in the fuel you get at the pump unless your getting cut rate fuel. It hasn't been that cold here for it to gel providing your getting good fuel.

Also replace your fuel filter.

HappyWave.gif

I plug it in when im gonna need to use it. I like the instant heat and it starts easier. Also dont forget to check the batteries, at least in my truck they need to have water added every now and again. Lots of people are so used to sealed batteries that they dont check the levels. But at 5 yrs youre close to the end of their life anyway.

As for filters, yup you have to change them often. I change them every second time I change the oil.

btw someone had to say this wink.gif get a ford wink.gif

View PostKevin

Replace your Batteries, "crank speed is everything on a diesel"

If the problem was slow crank speed the batteries should solve that for you.

If you feel you had a fuel problem then read on.

Check out Opti-Lube XPD as an additive for winter use. "Google"

Note: untreated diesel shouldn't gel until your near 17 or lower.

This time of the year there is suppose to be some treatment in the fuel you get at the pump unless your getting cut rate fuel. It hasn't been that cold here for it to gel providing your getting good fuel.

Also replace your fuel filter.

HappyWave.gif

Hey Jess (if this is the Jess I'm thinking it is). Problem was solved by priming the fuel filter, ie pushing down on the little pump mechanism on top of the filter until it got hard. 2nd time I did this she started right up and I haven't had any issues since. It is good to know about the battery life issues. To be honest it doesnt seem to me that there has been any problems with the batteries even when it wouldn't start it was cranking good but I could just tell it was starved for fuel. By the way it might not be below 17 down your way but up here in the NJ hills it has been cold Brrr. HappyWave.gif

Thanks for the responses guys, as for the Ford response. Been there done that. I love me my Chevy

KEV Keep aspare fuel fillter and wrench with your truck at all timesjust incase. I have switched to ---HOWES---fuel additive(nothingelse)and haven,t had a problem in 15 years. My brouther in northern N H switched and hasen,t had a problem as well. good luck