driving in the snow

SG1

I bought a used pick up a few weeks ago for a knock-around work truck, beach buggy, and etc. I've never owned a PU before, but have always had an SUV of some kind. Today was the first trip in the snow, and in 2WD it handled like cr@P!. It slid around in the slush, and at a stop on a small incline, the back wheels spun in place as I inched through the intersection. My little Nissan Maxima or my wife's minivan would have easily handled it much better. So... is it me, my truck, or is this inherent to most PU's because of the rear wheel drive an no weight in the back. BTW, new tires and alignment recently. (Dodge Dakota 4X4).

you need some type of weight in the back to atleast get some grip, even if you have snow tires on it wont help if the rear is too light. try some sand bags, that's if you dont have any equiptment back there. works on my mustang but then again I leave it parked now since i got two more to drive when the weather is not that great.

Chris
(*member formerly known as 'Bag&Tag')

I will tell you what, I have been driving truck my whole life. About ten years ago we picked up a F250 it was lifted a few inches and had 33" BFG all terrains. It looked like I could drive over a house. Anyway the front wheel drive shaft wasn't in and it started snowing when I was working. About 5pm it was time to go home. I couldn't get the truck out of the parking spot. Mind you there was only 4" on the groundredface.gif. Pick ups suck in the snow especially compared to any front wheel drive car.

The best thing is sand. Home depot its like 2 bucks for a 50lb bag. Buy about 6 bags and your good. It's easy to remove and costs only a few bucks!

I had a 93 Dodge Dakota 4x4 for 14 yrs here in Maine and it was the worst thing I ever drove in the snow. I had previously had jeeps. Even with 250 lbs of steel plate and 4 studded snows, the ass end was all over the place. The Honda Element awd I have now could run circles around it and tow a 16' boat better.

(*member formerly known as 'Fairplay')

To answer your question its not you.

Its the nature of the beast i don't care what pickup you have they are useless in the snow without 4 wheel drive.

as you stated no weight in the back .. its rear wheel drive, Drive it in 4 wheel you'll be fine.

I have had a PU for many years and one of them is Taco. I never put any weight over the rear axle and use moderation in driving especially on turns. If for some reason I slipped I always had the presence to control the slide. If not I would punch it into 4wd.

Early to bed, early to rise, fish all day, make up lies. - unknown

It is a weight vs surface area thing.

In snow it is better to have more weight per square inch so that the tires dig in and get traction. That is why a car with skinnier tires will do better than a PU (wide tires) in snow. (four wheel drive, adding weight and snow treds help to even the playing field.)

However in sand is the exact opposite. Less weight per surface area is better, you dig in less and ride on top of the sand. When you deflate tires you increase the tire's surface area on the sand. (four wheel drive, lightening the weight and the right tires help)

Wow, I still remember that from high school physics.