Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Fail...........

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Why did they have to go and screw with pork to make it the "other white meat?"

Made a center cut pork roast last night, and was really looking forward to it, as it has been a long time since I did one.

It was about a 3 pound roast with a nice fat cap. I tied it with butcher's twine and inserted a few dozen garlic slivers in slits all around it.

Seared it off on all sides in a frying pan. Sprinkled the fat side with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and put it in a 375 oven for 10 minutes. Turned down the oven to 300 and roasted for about an hour.

When an instant read thermometer read 140, I pulled it and covered it with foil on the cutting board for about 15 minutes.

Sliced it up, and most of it was white, dry, and tough..........frown.gif...At 140, I expected a bit pink and juicy.........damn thing has NO FAT other than the cap. Only good part was the garlic laden crispy fat cap....

I miss REAL pork....frown.gif

At least the leftovers will be okay on a pressed Cuban sandwich.....

Don't worry. I have been making a few a year. I'll make a perfect, juicy roast and then the next time it will be as dry as can be.(not even good on sammies the next day.headscratch.gif

View Post I'll make a perfect, juicy roast and then the next time it will be as dry as can be.

Worst part is that while I love a good pork roast in this fashion, Donna isn't big on it, even when it is good.....after last night's debacle, it will be a LONG time before she agrees to it again...frown.gif

Steve, there is good pork on the market. I am not sure if it is available in the local grocery stores. I used to buy it from sysco. It was almost red when you bought it. I can not remember the name right now. It was a bit more expensive, but it was worth it.

Really surprised that it was like that at 140, usually needs a few degrees more to go dry and tough.

We've been using a lot of loin as scallopine, lightly pounded out and cooked in picatta or rolled around a stuffing and quickly braised. When it's like $1.50 it's still hard to resist.

View PostShe'll eat whats served and like it. cwm13.gif

smile.gif

cwm31.gif............

Actually, tonight she is getting leftover chicken on a roll with some mayo, lettuce, and tomato, and a cup of homemade turkey soup......AFTER I shovel this white crap coming down...........

I did the same thing on Sunday night.

I brined it for most of the day, 2 cups kosher salt per gallon of water, some brown sugar, rosemary, crushed garlic, and an quartered onion.

It was juicy from the brine but overall tasteless and unimpressive.

Store bought pork is a real let down. frown.gif

Thats what you get with intensive farming. Being raised in a building, under flourescent light, no fresh air, no room to turn around, and no natural litter on the ground to rout around in, results in a dry, white tastless meat.

View PostBuy good pork next time wink.gif and pull it at 135 so after resting it finishes at 145. smile.gif

View PostYou beat me to it!

try serbian pork seasoning:

salt

fennel

black pepper

white pepper

sugar

rub it on the night before

roast as usual

nice

i guess i still have pork paranoia

but you guys are right

i like it with just the barest pink tinge, and that isn't always easy

the porkers of yore were bred for lard production since fat was in short supply on the homestead

it took them a while to get the maessage and start breeding for more lean

then they went too far

i hear they are working on a happy medium