Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Lets here some good 'I was outgunned but won anyway' stories

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

7 foot rod 10lb test off the beach,very light tackle..throwing a snapper popper,Bang ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZzzz...7 lb albacor...Great fight lasted about 15 or 20 min,Man it almost smoked mecwm27.gifbiggrin.gif

Then a few months later same rod and line,Im fluke fishing i hooked a cow nose ray..Fought it for a 30 min easy,I would say a easy 40lb or bigger...almost smoked me tooo...

those were the daysbeers.gif

Last year i was fishing for bass with my trout rod that has 4 pound test. My buddy had a bass on but i ahd crossed his line at the last sec. As we got the bass right by the 12 foot john boat a very big fish came and ate the bass and left, my buddy had lost his lure and fish but my little rod was bent amd peeling drag. After a hour and a half fight i had brought in a pike on four pound test and no wire leader with a 4 inch jerk bait! The weigh-in length:34' girth:16 weight:11 pounds 3.5 ounces 4lb test. Greatest fish fight i could have asked for.beers.gif

I fished for years from the surf with a 7' St. Croix Premier( I think it's rated 3/8-3/4 but don't quote me), I used to always overgun it with a 1 1/2 oz Polaris, and landed fish up to 36" regularly with it. I'll never forget palming the spool and running back and forth to gain line on fish. Then I wised up, got lazy and went to a 10 footer so I could winch them in. wink.gif

My 13 YO daughter tossing a little Chug Bug down on the river. I stood there laughing my arse off as she proceded to hook and land a 34" bass on a $30.00 Shimano combo and 10 lb test mono.

She was worn out and I thought the fish was done from the fight but it swam off hopefully to fight another day.

She will still throw on the stall mucking boots and join me for an hour when she's not to busy texting or on the computor..(sigh)smile.gif

Was snapper fishing with my ultra light trout rod. 4lb test and a tiny kastmaster. Hooked a snapper and as i was retriving a bass grabbed it and took off peeling my spool for all it was worth. I walked the fish about 50 yards back and forth palming the spool until i landed her. 12.5 lbs on my old ass garcia scale so i'm guessing around 10lbs. I'll post the pics if i can find em.

Another was in pa. Trout fishing with the same rod, reel, 4lb test again. Caught nothing all day intil bam. Drag started squeeling and the fish jumped. It was a palomino. I had to flip the bail twice as it dove into the strong current. The fish didn't even fit in my net! Beautiful fish though. 26 inches of golden trout getting mounted as we speak.

-mike

Catching sockeye to 6 lbs on a creek in Juneau with my old Cabelas 4wt fish eagle. It was what I had with me so I used it and it came through as it has so many times. More great memories with that rod than all my others.

I was two rod bait fishing,one spiked for bass with a whole clam.The other rod (6ft ultra light freshwater outfit)had tinny hooks and was targeting kingfish with the scrap from the clams. Like clockwork a big fish grabbed the kingfish rig.My 80yds of 6lb test wad going out fast as the fish was going east at a good clip.When I could see the just a few wraps left,I figured "what the heck",and jabbed the fish a few times by sweeping the rod.It worked,she turned and started running north.Kept up with her and a few 100yds down the beach I beached a 20lb striper,which was the biggest to date by quite a bit it is in the members photo's section

Years ago....

I was Cod fishing in about 250' of water with a 17 oz Jig and 30# Fusion line. Dropped the jig to the bottom and lifted it up. Something grabbed it and shook. I thought "big Haddock". Started reeling in an line went slack. Im reeling in like mad figuring the fish may be moving up. Feel a bump and WHAMMO. This thing takes off like a rocket. To the surface, and around the boat. All I see is a tail and a wake. Tuna for sure.

Long story short after about and hour of up and down. In and out, my line is fraying like a violin string.(pre braid spectron) Every time I get near the boat the fish runs and I cant stop it. FINALLY Im pulling it straight up from the bottom. Being very careful not to put too much pressure on the line. My line is a mess, litterally falling apart, and i only want to see the fish. There is no way I'll land it.

My buddy is hanging over the side and in one quick swoop sinks the gaff and hauls the fish obver the side before I even knew the fish was that close.

About an 80lb Bluefin. Never thought Id even see it. YUM!

8'8" glass lami, penn 4500ss, 20# big game, 57# striper. in retrospect, i shouldve lost to that fish, good think the atom jr was stuck in her lip, eye and hooked around the gill plate. not sure of the specs on the 4500 but i don't think i had over 150 yards of line on that stick.

also a few summers ago we had bluefish and bass on the beach on small bait. my father and i used small 4 1/2' rods with 2# mono to catch them, almost got spooled 2-4 times every fish, great time.

Not my story, but I know there was a guy who weighed his 50#+ bass this year at an unnamed tackle shop in Lon branch near the windmill and 7-11. He hooked it up on a 7' TICA with a 3000 series reel with a pencil popper. Just unreal.

I was fly fishing for trout in the Sacramento River (CA) with a 5 wt. rig and accidentally snagged a half-dead, post-spawn king salmon that was probably 20lbs. However, he wasn't dead enough to start heading up river taking the entirety of my fly line with him... well almost. I broke it off when I saw that there was absolutely no way I could turn the fish around. That was humbling.

Was visiting my father in Ft. Lauderdale with my then 6 yr. old twins. We had been catching some peacock and lg.mouth bass on shiners in a local lake on some old walmart special combos my father had in the garage that maybe had 6 lb. test. The boys said they wanted to go again in the morning until I came back with the shiners at 6 AM and they didn"t want to get up. So not wanting to waste the bait I hit a local brackish canal and threw out a shiner . When I started to tie a popper on the other rod I see the float down. I set the hook and a 15 lb. tarpon comes flying out of the water and goes greyhounding down the canal through some overhanging branches . Probably took me 15 min. to land. First tarpon. And it had me looking for tarpon charters the same day . lol .

Bass fishing was slow on the far side of Billingsgate. Jigging with steel leader isn't that much fun anyway even if you are catching fish. Our keen-eyed Captain spotted a tuna school and thought we'd take a ride over to see the sight of thousands of small bluefin chasing bait. Only one problem: only spinning rod on the boat was a fluke rod left over from yesterday's fishing.

What the hell, we cast anyway with a 6 foot rod and maybe 15 lb test line on a small spinning reel.

Fish on.....1 1/2+ hours later a 60 to 70 lb fish in the boat.(only scale went to 50.) Some of the best boat maneuvering I've ever seen by the Captain allowed me to land that longshot of a fish. smile.gif

This one is from when I was a teenager. I was blind casting the end of a long dock in Key West when something very large grabbed my 1/2oz bucktail. Using a lite outfit (6' rod w/ 6# mono) I almost go spooled a couple times. This fish was a bulldog no blistering runs just pure steady powerpig2.gif . For an hour+ I fought this thing. The whole time thinking I need to see what the hell this is. Just as I think the battle is almost over the fish less than 50yds away a big yacht starts heading my way. I'm thinking he isn't going to tie up over here is he? As this boat gets closer I start to panic this guy is going to run over my line!redface.gif However the Fishing Gods were on my side that day. He stopped short and asks me if I have a fish on. I said yes and started babbling something about needing to land this thing. No problem he says he can wait. Very nice of him. Few minutes later I've got this thing dockside. It's my 1st Cobia 4' long and a guestimated 50#s.biggrin.gif