Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Flatwings and the Riffle Hitch

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone fish flatwings with a Riffle Hitch? The idea of having a fly skate across a mild current in a draining pond (Quonny is on my mind) is appealing, but securing a fly to a tippet with a pair of half hitches is not. It's a weak knot, and this is a tie that originated on trout streams, after all.

I think it started with steelhead but I could be wrong.

In addition to skating the fly, the riffle hitch also offers the fly to the fish at a different attitude. The hitch keeps the fly perpendicular to the leader as it swings across the current. Sometimes that is what is needed to move a picky fish.

You can't always worry about if the knot is going to hold or whatever. Be a sportsman, win a few loose a few. Getting the hit in difficult circumstance sometimes can be enough. Anywho, how many large stripers are you taking on the fly that you are worrying about breaking the knot?

I think it actually started with Atlantic Salmon. You're not the first to think of it. I've seen it described in several saltwater books, but I've never tried it.

Two half hitches should be a secure knot since the line is wrapped around the shank of the hook, not around itself. The trick is to tie your line to the eye using some type of cinch knot and then make 2 half hitches around the shank with the running line.

Give it a try.