Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FISHNFOOL

Home depot to close its expo stores

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

About 7 thousand HD employees will be joining the unemployment lines within the upcoming days. Home depot once an admired fortune five hundred company is finally feeling the problems they created with the hiring of CEO Nardelli and piss poor management. Wish this move would bring back the depot of old, but they gotta get rid of alot of crap before they can ever rebuild again the right way. Also heard the LPS dept, store trainers and other so called key personel got their walking papers. Maybe a change is a comming. Those depts alone, company wide, gotta hold another thousand people. Thats alot of people that are going back into the job force. Think its hard to find a job now just wait. Wow scary times

Many, if not all, Home Depots had previously laid off all their part time help. Someone who's full time job is at my company lost his part time position over there. While I feel bad for them, I think I almost feel worse for the full timers who have to pick up the slack and even change their hours. I know of at least one person who had to change his hours to work 11to 7 (vs 6 to 3) and it caused some personal turmoil because his kid is in school and their arrangement was that the wife dropped the kid off at the bus while he picked up the kid from the after school program.

Terrible to hear, however 11 to 7 is better than the alternative no job. Kids are always an issue, but the fact remains that in todays day and age, we should just be thankful we have a job.

View PostMany, if not all, Home Depots had previously laid off all their part time help. Someone who's full time job is at my company lost his part time position over there. While I feel bad for them, I think I almost feel worse for the full timers who have to pick up the slack and even change their hours. I know of at least one person who had to change his hours to work 11to 7 (vs 6 to 3) and it caused some personal turmoil because his kid is in school and their arrangement was that the wife dropped the kid off at the bus while he picked up the kid from the after school program.

Where did you hear that?

I've been there almost 12 years and we neverlaid off anyone..In fact, we'll be hiring a bunch of PTers..None of the other stores in the Philly area laid off anyone...Cut back on hours sure but thats the winter season. And with the exception of a few positions in the store, no one has a permanent schedule..It changes every week...

They didn't shut any of the core stores..Only their "side" projects.

The officers in the top rung took a pay freeze but nothing and nobody else is affected...Raises, bonuses, 401K matching all untouched...

Its a lousy builders market right now.Everyone is affected until it turns around...And if you think Lowes escaped this, just wait....

Home Depot has 22 BILLION CLEAR in cash in the banks..Its not going anywhere...Lowes on the other hand......

Hope your thoughts are correct..... But I can tell ya my stock is worthless and so are 90 % of upper management from the Bob Nardelli era... The stores are no longer ground engaged, they offer NO knowledgeable employees, there is 0 customer service and the old take care of the employees and they will take care of your company ran away with Bernie and Arthur. I watch the Dm's walk the store by me today... Spent forty minutes discussing moving the candy to the other side of the contractor isle and the Halo cans to the other........ Forty minutes I sat at the contractor desk laughing, I finally ask when they thought they could bring down a lift of drywall so I could purchase 25 sheets... They the managers said they were working on it...... Forty minutes.... I sat there waiting while they talked about moving the candy... So sorry I purchased that stock.....

View PostAbout 7 thousand HD employees will be joining the unemployment lines within the upcoming days. Home depot once an admired fortune five hundred company is finally feeling the problems they created with the hiring of CEO Nardelli and piss poor management. Wish this move would bring back the depot of old, but they gotta get rid of alot of crap before they can ever rebuild again the right way. Also heard the LPS dept, store trainers and other so called key personel got their walking papers. Maybe a change is a comming. Those depts alone, company wide, gotta hold another thousand people. Thats alot of people that are going back into the job force. Think its hard to find a job now just wait. Wow scary times

HD closing some "design center" (if that = expo) stores in CA.

View PostWhere did you hear that?

I've been there almost 12 years and we neverlaid off anyone..In fact, we'll be hiring a bunch of PTers..None of the other stores in the Philly area laid off anyone...Cut back on hours sure but thats the winter season. And with the exception of a few positions in the store, no one has a permanent schedule..It changes every week...

They didn't shut any of the core stores..Only their "side" projects.

The officers in the top rung took a pay freeze but nothing and nobody else is affected...Raises, bonuses, 401K matching all untouched...

Its a lousy builders market right now.Everyone is affected until it turns around...And if you think Lowes escaped this, just wait....

Home Depot has 22 BILLION CLEAR in cash in the banks..Its not going anywhere...Lowes on the other hand......

Some HD stores here in MA did exactly that - the part timers are gone at least until May. The places I heard this info from was 3 people from 3 different HD's in this area. Two of these people were on the receiving end of being 'canned' (at least for now) while the third person is the fulltimer I was referring to earlier who's hours were changed. The store in my immediate area is a ghost town to walk into. In fact, ironically, Bass Pro is the only store I've been in during the past two weeks that had a significant number of shoppers in it...Pet Smart, Bob's Store, Michaels craft store all had no customers or visible help for that matter (except for the cashiers)...I don't know if those stores cut their part timers as well...but I would assume yes given my observations.

have been in the surviviing HD three times in the past week. Lots of employees there, but only a few customers. Very unmotivated sales staff. The staff was kind of hanging around and b.s.ing with one another and hitting on the cute, young cashiers. There was a second one locally that shut down in early summer "08. The sales staff there was totally untrained. Seemed to just be cheap labor that they hired off the street. The one that is still open just go some more competition by a second Lowes opening nearby.

View Posthave been in the surviviing HD three times in the past week. Lots of employees there, but only a few customers. Very unmotivated sales staff. The staff was kind of hanging around and b.s.ing with one another and hitting on the cute, young cashiers. There was a second one locally that shut down in early summer "08. The sales staff there was totally untrained. Seemed to just be cheap labor that they hired off the street. The one that is still open just go some more competition by a second Lowes opening nearby.

The closest HD to where I live is HD is in Natick, MA and although it's been slow lately, that one is usually busy. However, the next closest one is in Marlboro, MA and I've never seen that one busy. I think it's still open but wouldn't be surprised if it's on the chopping block sometime soon...

Home Depot has 16 stores within a 20 mile radius of my house... this post got me curious, so I checked. Seems to me like they've over expanded and probably need to do some cut backs.

View Post

Maybe take some of that 22 Billion and invest in the future through quality employees like the beginning.. In this time of massive unemployment fiqures I'd bet my life that the answers to grow a once voted, the most admired retailer by Forbes, back to the top are out there seeking employment.

On a seperate note why do all the employees fired, laid off,or let go by Home Depot end up at Lowes??? I know of at least five piss poor managers of a Home depot that got fired for bad job performance, piss poor managing now managing a Lowes store..... Whats that all about, don't they check their references... Seems like your stuck dealing with idiots within the big box mentality...

View PostMaybe take some of that 22 Billion and invest in the future through quality employees like the beginning.. In this time of massive unemployment fiqures I'd bet my life that the answers to grow a once voted, the most admired retailer by Forbes, back to the top are out there seeking employment.

On a seperate note why do all the employees fired, laid off,or let go by Home Depot end up at Lowes??? I know of at least five piss poor managers of a Home depot that got fired for bad job performance, piss poor managing now managing a Lowes store..... Whats that all about, don't they check their references... Seems like your stuck dealing with idiots within the big box mentality...

Major employers will not disclose why an employee left their organization or discuss performance... they are worried about lawsuits. All they will do is confirm dates of employment.

View PostMajor employers will not disclose why an employee left their organization or discuss performance... they are worried about lawsuits. All they will do is confirm dates of employment.

That's right.