Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aweiss4428

canadian goose reccomendations

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I would give the jet engine serious thought. ;-)

Roasted was dark dry and tough.

I haven't cooked one in many years but would say you probably want to either marinade or brine it first, sear it, then braise it to about 160 degrees

Friends have said it was great pan fried if you pounded it first to tenderize but I never tried that.

Only had it once, and it was leftovers re-heated from someone I knew.

It is VERY lean and dark, looks and tastes like steak, maybe similiar to ostrich meat.....as such, I would treat it as such....on the grill or pan fried as you would a steak, and keep it on the rare side.

Short of that, no suggestions........

I have heard that rare is the way to go, as Steve said, but nobody present anytime we had one was ready to eat it rare so never tried it. It seems closer to beef than anything else so why not.

Goose isdark like liver. First cut the filet's(breasts)off the bird and remove any bits of white fat because it carries the gamy taste.As a first timer you could try it teriyaki style cut into thin strips with veggies and soy sauce. Good luck

Canada Goose

not Canadian Goose

recipe:

pluck and gut goose

stuff with a brick

roast until done (160 degrees, about 3 hours)

remove from oven and let rest

take brick from cavity

throw away goose, serve brick

i kill and eat about 60 geese a year... just take the breasts, brine in salt water for 24hrs at least. season with garlic salt, oregano, and black pepper. slice each breast so that you have a small pocket in the middle. in each pocket put a tablespoon of creamcheese. then put a big jalepeno slice on top of each one. wrap the whole shebang in bacon and bake on 350 till just before the bacon is done. if you overcook, it'll be super tough a junk, it's better to be rare than well done. good luck.

Chop up some onions and celery to cover bottom of crock pot, add a 1/2 can of beer. Place breasts on top of vegatables, cook on high 2 hours, switch to low for 4 more. I shred the meat and make sloppy goose using sloopy joe mix. Also good in pasta gravy.

Russ

thanks guys.

right after I put this up, a guy came into work and was talking to someone about cooking geese.

said to rub the thing in cracked black pepper really well. put in whatever kind of stuffing you want, then slather it in grape jelly, and place in a 325oven or 1.5 hours.

Take the breast slice it in thin strips, say about 1/4". Marinate in anything you like, teriyaki sauce, Italian dressing, etc.. for 24 hrs. Hot grill 2 minutes each side, don't over cook.