Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

Tax payer stimulus checks

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Heard to day they will go to everyone, even those not paying taxes. Very interesting. Additionally there was discussion about where you spend your check and who benefits. If you spend it at Wal-mart aren't you really helping the Chinese? Well here is a solution. Make the stimulus checks USA made only redeemable. Listen, it's essentially "found money" so make it redeemable only on what is made in America. A Gibson guitar, or fresh produce, or Longaberger baskets, or anything else John Ratzenberger showed. That would guarantee monies staying and stimulating the US. Scott

Has there been any determination that there will be a CHECK issued?

I have not heard such a decision has been made-I for one am not convinced there will be.

Yeah, I think it is all part of the next stimulus package, but heard this was an area for discussion. I'm a bit concerned about everybody getting money, even those not paying into the system. I'll have to go do some more research on it. Scott

View PostHeard to day they will go to everyone, even those not paying taxes. Very interesting. Additionally there was discussion about where you spend your check and who benefits. If you spend it at Wal-mart aren't you really helping the Chinese? Well here is a solution. Make the stimulus checks USA made only redeemable. Listen, it's essentially "found money" so make it redeemable only on what is made in America. A Gibson guitar, or fresh produce, or Longaberger baskets, or anything else John Ratzenberger showed. That would guarantee monies staying and stimulating the US. Scott

Can someone please explain this Walmart = China thing.

I buy some of my groceries and paper products at Walmart. I uaually pay anywhere from 20% up to 50% less than I would for the same exact product in the local grocery store. Is this because walmart gets their General Mills, tastykake, Domino sugar, etc etc products from China while the local grocer doesn't??? Please explain to me how shopping at Walmart is sending my money to China. Please...I really want to understand!!

View PostYeah, I think it is all part of the next stimulus package, but heard this was an area for discussion. I'm a bit concerned about everybody getting money, even those not paying into the system. I'll have to go do some more research on it. Scott

I do not believe that CHECKS are being discussed this go round, I think I have heard Obama actually talk about lowering the tax rates at the lower levels so that people will realise about a thousand dollars more in their take home pay over the course of a year. If true, that would mean everybody who works and has a paycheck issued to them and have taxes withheld will benefit.

The only kickers is how the politicians do this:

Do they only reduce the amount withheld, but not your actual tax rate? If true then the stimulus will only be a short term interest free loan.

Do they reduce the taxes on the lower income worker, but raise the taxes on the higher income wage earners? If so then only the lower wage earners will benefit.

Do they reduce the tax rate for everyone and then somehow change the earned income credit for people who do not work or earn very little and therefore they get back a larger return than they would normally receive?

One thing is for sure the politicians will ONLY what they perceive will get them more votes ......

View Post If you spend it at Wal-mart aren't you really helping the Chinese? Well here is a solution. Make the stimulus checks USA made only redeemable. Listen, it's essentially "found money" so make it redeemable only on what is made in America. A Gibson guitar, or fresh produce, or Longaberger baskets, or anything else John Ratzenberger showed. That would guarantee monies staying and stimulating the US. Scott

Great idea- hey, why not just bring back Smoot-Hawley

OK, this was a discussion this am on the way to work. It appears we are taking pages from the Clinton Administration that we float ideas, get feedback then decide what to do. OK, I can live with that. So this is an area of discussion. As are 95%+ of what we discuss here.

Second, While the groceries at wal-mart may indeed be USA based, I do believe you find a overwhelming amount of their goods to be manufactured in China. Fine, the Chinese children (wink) make great things. Second, If you've read Sam Waltons biography you will see why Walmart did so well and why you can do great savings on many items. I'm not going to beat the walmart take over thingy to death.

As for Smoot-Hawley...this is an economic time and era this country has seen once before. And I;d gather that most of us were not there to experience it. Some of us may have gorwn up with parents that lived through it and you know how frugality works. So before poo-pooing a made in USA only stimulus. Consider the fact that our first responsibility is to us. Second to the rest of the world. Don't believe me? why if the US goes in the toilet does everbody else go in the toilet. Seems to me the world would appreciate the American Spirit of getting itself back into shape so we can then support/buy/import the rest of the world. Just my two cents guys. Scott

View PostOK, this was a discussion this am on the way to work. It appears we are taking pages from the Clinton Administration that we float ideas, get feedback then decide what to do. OK, I can live with that. So this is an area of discussion. As are 95%+ of what we discuss here.

Second, While the groceries at wal-mart may indeed be USA based, I do believe you find a overwhelming amount of their goods to be manufactured in China. Fine, the Chinese children (wink) make great things. Second, If you've read Sam Waltons biography you will see why Walmart did so well and why you can do great savings on many items. I'm not going to beat the walmart take over thingy to death.

As for Smoot-Hawley...this is an economic time and era this country has seen once before. And I;d gather that most of us were not there to experience it. Some of us may have gorwn up with parents that lived through it and you know how frugality works. So before poo-pooing a made in USA only stimulus. Consider the fact that our first responsibility is to us. Second to the rest of the world. Don't believe me? why if the US goes in the toilet does everbody else go in the toilet. Seems to me the world would appreciate the American Spirit of getting itself back into shape so we can then support/buy/import the rest of the world. Just my two cents guys. Scott

Tariffs and a variety of barriers to trade would only cause less global trade. Less trade equals less industrial output and fewer employees, we already got that going for us. Not to mention that trade barriers will probably increase prices so less bang for your buck.