Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lamiglasmike

How do you rig your Gulp Bait?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

My 1st experience with Gulp bait was a couple years ago, when a buddy brought the strips you have to cut in the pendant shape. We laughed, then he started catching Fluke 3 to 1, mostly shorts but still catching and not fishing. LOL biggrin.gifheadscratch.gif

Since then I have used several of the Gulp baits: Penny shrimp, white mullet and now can't wait to use the new bait fish in white.

I have been using Gulp strip baits on my bucktails and the others directly on a hook of choice. We even tried the small mullet on a 4/0 bait hook as the trailer hook to my bucktail and we were catching everything from Fluke to Sea Bass, even the skates liked it.

I'm still looking for a good screw on jig head to use with the 4" Gulp Shrimps.

How do you rig your Gulp baits and what fish are you fishing for?

Thanks, Lami

For Fluke - one on the bucktail and one on a bare hook, baitholder 2/0, teaser rig setup about 18" to 2' above the bucktail. Sometimes I just hold it still and let the teaser swing around in the current. ~95% caught on the teaser. I've gotten Sea Robins, Blues, and Bass as by-catch to this technique.

^^^

For fluke I basically do the exact same thing. I don't use the strips at all though, I use the swimming mullet in either chartruese (sp?) or pearl and just thread the hook through so it pops out with the hook point in the middle.

I'll do the same with the shrimp and sandworm carolina rigged with the bait holder - have caught both fluke and bass with that.

I've also used the 10in Gulp eel on a bare teaser hook and caught a couple that way.

For the small stuff here on the West coast, I usually nose hook them like drop shotting in fresh water. I just use a mosquito hook. From perch, to croakers, corbina (yes I know they are a croaker too, but they are special) and halibut.

Matthew

Mike,

I only fish the GULP! products during the summer months and most times I am vertical jigging them for Weakfish and Fluke.. I have found the Kalin's Ultimate Jigs with Mustad Hooks with a Black Nickel Finish really hold up and grip these soft pastics without tearing them up even after repeated fish on the same bait...

I fish primarily the Gulf and SE Atlantic. I fish them on a two hook bottom rig allowing them to "swim" in the current. I use the fishbites products more often. They can be fished the same way.

hi mike, i usually put it on a hook biggrin.gif hahaha. usually I just put it on a jig head when im fishing for fluke and weakfish and bounce it along the bottom. as for the screw jig head i really like the kalins even though they are not a screw type

Chartreuse, white or pink swimmin' mullet fished as a teaser in front of a bucktail or metal. I used to always tip the bucktail with one too, but since 90% of the hits are on the teaser, I usually don't bother anymore.

I like a round head with a gamagatsu hook. 20lb or 30lb mono tied into a tandom rig or spec rig. Flounder, bluefish, trout, and stripers all love it as well as spot, shad.

dscn0140yv8.jpg

dscn0145xc8.jpg

dscn0153yv4.jpg

Just looking through the Fisherman for this week and it has the 09 tackle buying guide in it. They have a couple of interesting things for the plastic baits.

The one is a new "Gamakatsu EWG Monster Weighted Swim Bait Hook". Looks like 5/0 to 7/0 hooks in various weights.

The 2nd was a Owner product, "The Beast with Twistlock". This looks good also. I have been looking for a good twist lock jig head and this looks like it wood work well. Not a jig head but you get the picture.

It seems hard to find a good twist lock jig head in a heavier weight.

Just noticed a 3rd item, Hogy Weighted Swim bait Hooks, just across the page from the owner hooks add.

Just have to compare the bunch. Another reason to buy more tackle!biggrin.gif

Any Thought on either one?

Lami