Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltwaterhabits

76 pound bass

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Attended a great seminar with Esteban last nite at RISAA, featuring Don Smith & Peter Vican who caught the state record last summer. The lecture concentrated on fishing the old Jamestown Bridge area and Block Island. Lots of good and some eye-opening info. And they shared 'spots'. But even better, they continually reminded the crowd (must have been 400), this place was packed, of what to look for in creating your own spots.

Both good, humble accomplished fishermen.

View Postgood to hear that he knows his stuff, woulda sucked for some 1/2 assed fisherman to just get lucky and hit a 70 pounder...

View PostCouldn't agree more...

I'll play devil's advocate here... Why would that be such a bad thing? A not-so "hardcore" angler picks up a dozen eels. Heads out to the block and him and his buddies have the catch of their collective lifetimes. Awesome!

I don't know Peter Vican's personally but I know that he consistently catches big fish and that is impressive and involves alot time and skill. But the "big one" fish has alot of luck associated with it as well. So who cares if a 1/2 assed fisherman caught it. I'd rather be lucky than good any day of the week.

Don is one of the most knowledgeable fishermen around,i don't know Mr. Vican personally but his choice of fishing partner is a pretty good indicator of his knowledge as well.

These guys are great examples of what accomplished fishermen were like before the age of the internet hero.

They are humble,helpful and not in it for glory or publicity but because they love it.

Must have been a great learning experience i wish i was there.

View PostI'll play devil's advocate here... Why would that be such a bad thing? A not-so "hardcore" angler picks up a dozen eels. Heads out to the block and him and his buddies have the catch of their collective lifetimes. Awesome!

I don't know Peter Vican's personally but I know that he consistently catches big fish and that is impressive and involves alot time and skill. But the "big one" fish has alot of luck associated with it as well. So who cares if a 1/2 assed fisherman caught it. I'd rather be lucky than good any day of the week.

Because the "halfassed" fisherman doesn't put in the time, effort and money of a hard core guy. I'm not saying some kook doesn't deserve a monster like that.. Its just nice to know someone actually worked for it. But thats just my take on it. And personally I think a kook would have blown it with a cow that big, it really takes skill to land a monster like that or anything in the 50# + realm.

I agree, it's about a life long chasing for that fabulous fish. It is a hughe personal accomplishment.It could not have happened to somene better.

He donated the fish to RISSA and it will be displayed at the Spring show.

One last thought, to be lucky you have to "help" luck. With his dedication he has definetly changed the odds in his favor to help luck.clapping.gif

View Postlet stay till i get home 4pm.i cant get it from my work comp.mad.gif

I pm'd you the link, but I have to delete it. rules are rules, but what an accomplishment to catch a fish like that with such light tackle.. amazing.