Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wraith

Nikon D70

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Anyone have a D70? Looking for some input on it as I have a chance to pick up one with a couple lenses on the cheap.

This would be my first SLR type camera and want to know if it a decent one.

How old? How many use hours? How many exposures has it shot?

SLRs are guaranteed for a given number of exposures before the motor that moves the mirror gives out. That camera has been discontinued for some time. Might be worth it for the glass, but glass gets redesigned to keep up with advances in focus motor technology. I know that Canyon Diver shots Nikon. He's probably a good person to ask. I'm a Canon shooter.

D70 Body

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D-AF Lens

Sigma 28mm f/1.8/EX/DG/ASPH.Macro Lens

Nikon-Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S VR Lens

Nikon AF-S DX 18mm-55mm Lens

UV Filters for each, nice bag, 2 batteries, 4-4gig Cf cards, cleaning kit, and some misc items.

1543 actuation's, no wear that I can see on any item.

Got it for a $540.00 payment to his bank so they would not repo his car, his idea. Did the deal this afternoon, just wanted to know if it was worth it.

i still shoot a d70. a very capable camera that delivers excellent output. if i am not mistaken it is still nikon's best selling dslr ever.

imo, the only real limitations of it might be it's smallish screen and average viewfinder. it is however a very capable camera and you ahve a nice mix of lenses there. the zooms are nothing remarkable but the primes are decent. the 50 is a cheap lens at about $100 but it's a terrific performer. the sigma IIRC is about $250 and it's a nice prime. all lenses are current and still sold. the cf cards are a nice bonus. that's a ton of storage on this camera even if shooting raw. filters could be real good or real bad depending on the brand. unless they were of high quality i would just take them off but that's me.

if the shutter count is correct (although i have my doubts on that) it's a terrific deal.

The d-70 is quite a decent camera, but the d70-s got a few upgrades.

As for the shutter, which is the big failure item on SLR cameras, I do not know how many frames that shutter is rated for.

You say it has about 1,500 frames shot on it?

I would be surprised if it isn't rated for at least 50,000 shutter cycles.

If the shutter was only cycled 1,500+ times, I would think the price quite decent.

The thing that really makes digital cameras shine, is the post processing software. I do not mean Photoshop, but rather something like the products from DXO. You will pay a couple of hundred to get on board, but it will make all the difference.

These earlier cameras have more noise and softer images than most of the top end bodies do these days. However, to get a top line modern body, you are looking at $1,600 minimum, so that camera and some software will really get you started nicely.

View Posti still shoot a d70. a very capable camera that delivers excellent output. if i am not mistaken it is still nikon's best selling dslr ever.

imo, the only real limitations of it might be it's smallish screen and average viewfinder. it is however a very capable camera and you ahve a nice mix of lenses there. the zooms are nothing remarkable but the primes are decent. the 50 is a cheap lens at about $100 but it's a terrific performer. the sigma IIRC is about $250 and it's a nice prime. all lenses are current and still sold. the cf cards are a nice bonus. that's a ton of storage on this camera even if shooting raw. filters could be real good or real bad depending on the brand. unless they were of high quality i would just take them off but that's me.

if the shutter count is correct (although i have my doubts on that) it's a terrific deal.

What Governor said icon14.gif

View PostThe d-70 is quite a decent camera, but the d70-s got a few upgrades.

The young red head across the street got one for Christmas. Doesn't even like photography....

I offered to show her how to use it if she would "model" for mecwm27.gif

View PostThe young red head across the street got one for Christmas. Doesn't even like photography....

I offered to show her how to use it if she would "model" for mecwm27.gif

Jason,

It was worth a shot!!biggrin.gif

View PostThe d-70 is quite a decent camera, but the d70-s got a few upgrades.

As for the shutter, which is the big failure item on SLR cameras, I do not know how many frames that shutter is rated for.

You say it has about 1,500 frames shot on it?

I would be surprised if it isn't rated for at least 50,000 shutter cycles.

50 K sounds like a lot to me, but I'll ask in the office if anybody knows. I would think more like 15 to 20 K.

View Post50 K sounds like a lot to me, but I'll ask in the office if anybody knows. I would think more like 15 to 20 K.

The D-300 is rated @150,000 and 300,000 D-3 & D-3x.

Check on the Canon's in the range of class of the D-70 if you would please.smile.gif

View PostThe D-300 is rated @150,000 and 300,000 D-3 & D-3x.

Check on the Canon's in the range of class of the D-70 if you would please.smile.gif

I was too busy to check today, but I was going to check on both. The D 70 is older technology and lower end than the D70. I'm just guessing. Remember I'm a video tech for a living. cwm15.gif