Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zybathegeek

Question for Stradic owners

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

About to pull the pin on buying a new Stradic FI, and recently posted a question about buying a 5000 or 6000 - the usual lot of different opinions, and these have left me undecided, so this time I rephrase the question.

In terms of comparative size approx what size is the 5000 and the 6000, say in terms of the Baitrunners.

Does the 5000 = BTR3500? and the 6000 = BTR4500?

I've got a problem with mobility at the moment, otherwise I'd get down to the local B&T and actually run the eyeball over both.

The rod in question is a St Croix 8'6" Premier surf.

Size-wise the 6000 and 8000 are the same size, roughly comparable to a Quantum Cabo or Boca 50/60 if you're familiar with those, or a Penn Slammer 560 if you're familiar with those.

The 5000 is similar in size to a Cabo/Boca 40 size reel or Penn 550ssg if you have seen one of those.

I'd recommend the 5000 and 30lb braid on that rod, but its a personal preference thing. If you like a heavier reel then the larger size would work fine too.

There's no point in the 6000 as the 8000 is effectively the same reel, just with a bigger spool and it weighs fractionally less. So if you want the bigger reel get the 8000.

One other thing- because the reel bodies are pretty big on the Baitrunners, they don't really equate in terms of "size". The Baitrunners are physically much larger reels than the Stradics, which have compact bodies.

The Baitrunner 4500 has fractionally more line capacity than a Stradic 8000. I forget what the 3500 holds.

View PostOne other thing- because the reel bodies are pretty big on the Baitrunners, they don't really equate in terms of "size". The Baitrunners are physically much larger reels than the Stradics, which have compact bodies.

The Baitrunner 4500 has fractionally more line capacity than a Stradic 8000. I forget what the 3500 holds.

Thanks Rocket, unfortunately I have no reference points on your reel suggestions 2 posts up, so I guess I'll have to wait until my ankle heals some more before I head out to the B&T for a hands on.

The bait runners are the only reels I have handy at the moment, hence my using them as a reference size, but your comment about the body size gives me a sense of proportion, which what I was looking for.

View PostCheck the wieght I believe the 8000 wieghs less than the 6000. Not sure how thats possible.

It's very slight and has to do with the spool design...it's the same exact body.

And to the original poster, I'm not sure exactly how the stradic series matches up with the baitrunner series (even though I'd guess that the stradic 5000 is fairly close to the smallest baitrunner - 3500)...However, you should know that when you jump from a 5000 to a 6000, there is a big jump in weight as well.

View PostI'd recommend the 5000 and 30lb braid on that rod, but its a personal preference thing.

View PostThe 5000 with 30lb braid is good for that rod

This is good advice. I own a 6000FI and just bought a 5000FI for my light plugging rig (Lami 1083-2), which is about to be wound with 30# Sufix braid. The 5000 is a nice size - not too small, but not too big - I think it will be a good match for your rod. I found the 4000 to be just a bit too small and I normally prefer light tackle.

View PostCheck the wieght I believe the 8000 wieghs less than the 6000. Not sure how thats possible.

the less line capacity of the 6k equals more metal on the spool.thus making it heavier.smile.gifnice reel!

View PostThe 5000 with 30lb braid is good for that rod

What he said.

I have been using the Shimano Spheros 5000 along with a Lami 8' 6" XS rod and I love the setup. I have pulled in a 12lb blue fish with it. Talk about testing your tackle. What a ball I had.

So if its the Stradic you want, go with the 5000 size, but I would look at the new Spheros for the surf, JMO.wink.gif

I have none of the newer Stradic reels but a lot of the older style but only for the boat. We tend to use the 5000 more often then the 6000. Its a great reel.icon14.gif

Good luck, Lami

View PostThis is the best I can do to give you a size comparison

Brian, that is an excellent comparison, exactly what I needed visually.

Thanks for taking the time. Most appreciated.

Tom

PS: I've seen a photo of what the 8'6" can handle with a Zeebaas attached. It was a very decent sized BFT.

I'll get the 8000, thanks.