Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riverwader

merrimac river stripers

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

may be heading to salem NH to work for the spring /summer...I live in enfield ct now and really enjoy the spring striper run here..but may miss it during the week due to job location...anyone have any info on the spring run in the merrimac??? general times and locations would help this ct guy rest at ease knowing that Ill be able to still catch a few after work. Would be fishing from shore with sluggos...houdini shad..darters and swimmers...thanks in advance

some others might chime in, but typically there is no "spring run" of stripers- unless you are talking JUNE. They're are still coming thru the canal in May.

which is not to say there are none around, they'll be a few hold overs, just not in a migratory sense.

last year was a very peculiar year- I know some people that didn't catch a decent fish till mid july from shore on artificials

Usually around mid-May they will show in the Merrimac. Just schoolies at first, but soon after some decent fish will show. Ehiney is right...last year was an off year (for me and many others that I talked to). I hope its not a sign of things to come, but...

Usually by mid May the schoolies are in the Merrimack and in Hampton, with bigger fish to follow by end of month. By June you can start targetting fish out front as well.

The Merrimack also has a very good run on shad fishing - one of the better rivers for shad on the east coast.

Good luck!

Chris

Mid-May is the usual start, but some years the schoolies show earlier on the front beaches. The North end of Plum Island is a good location, and many others know this, but you can always find a spot on a weekday. Outgoing tides are usually productive.

If you want to find out how things are running, stop in at Surfland.

The conventional wisdom is to fish the river mouth on the outgoing tide, the beach front (south of the jetty) on the incoming.

Of course nothing is absolute.

When the shad and herring run up the river the fishing gets good all the way up to the dam in Lawrence. You've got to stay on it, though, its pretty short lived.

I saw good quantity last year in the river, but not many large fish. Bait outproduced lures about 10 to 1 but I did catch a couple dozen fish on plugs.

Last year was pitiful for me from the shore. I heard the boat guys did ok. For me spots that were very good in years past would be lucky to get a hit or 2 per tide. Hopefully will be better this year.

View Poststay away from the mouth on weekends.

Now there's some real good advise! icon14.gifwink.gif I stay away from the North end of the island until late Sept or October myself. Its just not worth the hassle.

I live down the street from the dam in Lawrence and fish there and other productive spots from Lawrence to Groveland every day from mid April to the first week of July.Plenty of stripers to be caught if you know the area.

Peak time is from Mothers Day to third week of June.Water levels are a key factor. Last year the water level was real low due to repairs on the dam and most of the fish stayed down river of the 495 overpass. If you have a boat you can hit some prime spots, shore access is some what limited and the popular areas are crowded. If you don't have a boat waders will also give you an advantage.

Last year was a good year once I found the staging areas. One week I was averaging 15 to 25 fish all over 36 inches a day, not bad for 3-4 hours of fishing a day.

I mainly use sluggos, FinS , pencil poppers,and bottle neck poppers ,all work well.

When the spring comes pm me and I let you know whats and where the going on are.

Also you will need a freshwater license if you fish upriver of the first 495 over pass located on the Haverhill/Methuen line.

If the sun is up I keep clear of the mouth on weekends. In the wee hours the crowd is more reasonable.

View Poststay away from the mouth on weekends. Lots o fun can be had during the last two of may and the first two of june.