Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Awesome John

Im gonna get those stinken bonita tomorrow

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

They drove me nuts today!!!!

I hit em with everything but the kitchen sink today and still they would'nt hit..mad.gif

And they were breaking all around me , like it was humiliating manfrown.gif

I went prepared too.... I had my bag of tricks stocked... I was ready freddy

Tins.............

deadly dicks,

sting silvers

tiny kastmasters,

Tiny Maria spoons tried all of these at all speeds and "nada "frown.gif

Rubba.....

Storm minows,

Berkley power bait

Glup ( this they sniffed but would hit)

Eddystones, red gills and ragous

tried all of these at all speeds and "nada "frown.gif

swimmers....

Yozuris

marias

Rappalas

Bombers with teasers

walk the dog plugs

poppers with teasers

tried all of these at all speeds and "nada "frown.gif

Flies..................

Clousers

Decievers

EP peanut butters

Gummy minnows (I really thought these would work but once again Nadaredface.gif)

Rays Fly

half and halfs

seducers

surfcandy tried all of these at all speeds and "nada "frown.gif

and still they just kept breaking all around me taunting me, the freeken water was boiling with them , giving me the fish fingertongue.gif

then I said to my self "what would have Ken done?" ( Ken Kassan was my mentor, the finest fisherman I ever met he was my Yoda)

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyy

lets see what their eating.?... freeken microscopic newly hatched rainfishy things.. these things were a) really tiny, b) transparent c) numbered in the katrillions...

Okey you evil bastages I got a new trick up my sleeve for you evil green squigly striped gremlins... I packed up an left...

So now Im home and I got some 1/2 inch translucent plastic sand eels (they look excatly like red gills complete with the hidden hook inside and wiggling tail except that they are "ultra tiny" and transparent silicone, okey I got those bad boys soaking in the Berkley Gulp sause.... muu ha ha hacwm8.gif

tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn I will be there with a clear acrylic Bombarda casting float , 7 foot leader of 8lb floro carbon , my gulp juice laced micro redgill , and a bad attitudeshaky.gif

And if this dosnt work I got a stick of dynamite with a bucktail teaser on it MF'swink.gif

stay tuned.....

HAHAHAH AJ ! I went through the exact same thing in Bermuda. I was eating breakfast on the cruise ship looking down at the water. What do I see? A big school of breaking fish right at the docks. I finish my eggs, run to the cabin and grab my rod that I brought and a surf bag with all sorts of gulp baits, tins, and yo-zuris. Once I get down to the docks yep, they are bonita by the size and speed. I spent the entire morning trying to get them to bite but they were taunting me and laughing at me. I feel your pain. I ended up fishing for 6" tropical fish with some gulp squid while watching bonita break around me. mad.gif

If you catch them I will consider this a victory for us both.

AJ,

This happens to me all the time at a harbour back home with big GTs during the day and some other fish during the night under moon light .... more likely queenfish or ladyfish. But, the beach was a whole different story, where the most likely thing that happened was hookup .... smile.gif

Anyway, in three words .... "I hear ya" biggrin.gif

Cheers, Maruthu

Try a white on white jig, they love them.

In Florida we also tear them up on straw rigs. A casting bubble on main line, swivel about 5 ft. of leader with a straw about 4" long and a trebel hook. Add water to the bubble and run it over them as fast as possible. Caught 11 on 11 casts on day on one. Was too tired to try for # 12.

View PostTry a white on white jig, they love them.

In Florida we also tear them up on straw rigs. A casting bubble on main line, swivel about 5 ft. of leader with a straw about 4" long and a trebel hook. Add water to the bubble and run it over them as fast as possible. Caught 11 on 11 casts on day on one. Was too tired to try for # 12.

In florida the bonita is really a false albacore! John try some tiny swedish pimples!

When ever i head down to Florida the guides laugh when I say I target bonita/Ablies. In florida they are considered nothing more then bait. Some guides even move spots when they see a few bonita moving into their chum slick. But they are fun.

hi buddy do me a favor use a castmaster with a nice white single tail hook and a hopkins shorty 2 /38 ounce single tail hook.. don't attempt to fish where you see them splashing they are much faster than you are. stay about 50 yards or more away from them throw out a good cast straight out no angles .wait til the lure hits bottom then reel in as fast as your reel can reel and don't slow down til you get a strike. they can travel 40 mph. they can cover a large area much quicker than you would think. thats why when you see the splashing and cast over to where the splashing is.( there gone ) on to the next dinner. buy you keeping your distance they would see your lure as bait and do there fast run at your lure. let me kow how you do. reel faster than fast . good hunting .Bob

View Posthi buddy do me a favor use a castmaster with a nice white single tail hook and a hopkins shorty 2 /38 ounce single tail hook.. don't attempt to fish where you see them splashing they are much faster than you are. stay about 50 yards or more away from them throw out a good cast straight out no angles .wait til the lure hits bottom then reel in as fast as your reel can reel and don't slow down til you get a strike. they can travel 40 mph. they can cover a large area much quicker than you would think. thats why when you see the splashing and cast over to where the splashing is.( there gone ) on to the next dinner. buy you keeping your distance they would see your lure as bait and do there fast run at your lure. let me kow how you do. reel faster than fast . good hunting .Bob

I tried this as my first tactic, no avail.

The casting egg with your glup laced clear little thingy sounds like a good idea.If that fails a snapper popper rigged the same way might fool them.The splashing might attract a few to see your bait go by

There are days like that. I can remember a couple where they wouldnt hit anything at all, and like you said, where they were breaking everywhere in front of me and an Oak Bluffs cop. Both of us later swore we could have done better throwing rocks.

Then there are the days they will hit. Id stick with the deadly dicks in both green and blue, tho I know absolutely nothing about your fishing conditions over there. Thin line and leader too.