Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonesy

States Rights on the rise

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

wow! I see Blowbama is allowing states to set their own auto emissions standards.

good to see states rights on the rise. the GOP was firmly anti-states rights the last 8 years, both Bush and the GOP congress. they never would have passed this as the auto industry lobbyists owned too many GOP votes.

as a conservative is pretty gallinmg to see Dems being more pro states rights. beatin.gif

not only another revenue stream, but also an onslaught of defective cars that will not pass once the laws are inacted...but would have passed a few month earlier.

I know the premese is for cleaner air and all that- but how do you explain that to someone who is retired and drives less than 8K mile a year, vs someone who drives 40K a year?

Maine tried it a few years ago with stringent smog control as par of the inspection on residents cars, the pnly problem was the polution was more from the millions of cars that come to the state in the summer.....it last 2 months.

View Postnot only another revenue stream, but also an onslaught of defective cars that will not pass once the laws are inacted

existing cars have until 2020. read the small print wink.gif

I like Obamas quick action on this - these mpg efficiencies will cut gas usage by 2 million barrels a day, or 10%.

It will also mean that US cars will compete with Toyota and Honda on a global scale, which again has to be good for the US long term.

for too long as Obama says " rigid ideology overruled sound science" and pandered to special interests supporting the GOP.

Continuing efforts to overturn more of the last administration's policies, President Obama signed a presidential memoranda today requesting the EPA consider approving a waiver that will allow 14 states to set their own stricter automobile emissions and fuel efficiency standards.

In 2007, then-Environment Protection Agency administrator Steven Johnson denied California and 13 other states -- including Arizona, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington and New Jersey -- the right to set their own clean air standards, despite staff scientists' recommendation to do so.

"California has shown bold and bipartisan leadership through its effort to forge 21st-century standards and over a dozen states have followed its lead. But instead of serving as a partner, Washington stood in their way," Obama said.

Obama also signed a memorandum directing the Department of Transportation to expedite finalization of more fuel-efficient standards for the auto industry to cover 2011 model-year cars.

"For the sake of our security, our economy and our planet, we must have the courage and commitment to change," Obama said in the event held in the East Room of the White House. "We need more than the same old empty promises."

that is a change no ?

View Post

I like Obamas quick action on this - these mpg efficiencies will cut gas usage by 2 million barrels a day, or 10%.

It will also mean that US cars will compete with Toyota and Honda on a global scale, which again has to be good for the US long term.

it's a sad testament to the state of the u.s. auto industry that we have to mandate fuel consumption standards when the japanese are waaaaay ahead of us without such legislation. the japanese do it because as an island nation, they are more sensitive to rising fuel prices.

View Postit's a sad testament to the state of the u.s. auto industry that we have to mandate fuel consumption standards when the japanese are waaaaay ahead of us without such legislation. .

sadder still is that Europe and the rest of Asia followed Japan due to their dependence on oil but the US still didn't.

I've always believed that government shouldn't mandate innovation, but in this case it seems necessary . nucleur power is the same.

its interesting though that GE and UTX are at the cutting edge of global alternative energy solutions voluntarily. ( which is not a recommendation, but I am buying GE wink.gif )

View PostEurope is full of small cars that are fuel efficient or run on diesel not based on emissions but lack of fuel and cost of fuel.

How true. 2 years ago I rented a VW GOLF turbo diesel 5spd in Austria and got 50mpg (after the conversion math) drivong all over the Alps

Interestingly, in 1996 I bought a Saturn SL 1 5spd that consistently delivered 39-41 mpg at highway speeds on 87 octane. So what did GM do? discontinued the model, of course.

My current 2004 Grand Am 4cyl 5spd gets 33-35 mpg. Maybe the fed should require a higher number of stick trani's in the mix.

Maybe the US should have started decades ago to heavily tax fuel in order to create the environment that would make fuel efficient cars marketable. But, oh, wait, we are totally against raising taxes in a free market economy, think of all the damage that would've caused.

View Postit's a sad testament to the state of the u.s. auto industry that we have to mandate fuel consumption standards when the japanese are waaaaay ahead of us without such legislation. the japanese do it because as an island nation, they are more sensitive to rising fuel prices.

You forgot the Germans.

TDI.

View PostEurope is full of small cars that are fuel efficient or run on diesel not based on emissions but lack of fuel and cost of fuel.

... and that many, many cities within continental Europe, dating back many centuries, have streets so freaking narrow that ours comparatively look like a parking lot. smile.gif