Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Mangini paints over the legacy of Jim Brown and others

img676Calfato-Aaron.jpg

January 25, 10:42 AM

by Aaron Calafato, Cleveland Browns Examiner

jb.jpg

Jim Brown

A few days ago, Bob Glauber posted a blog about how Eric Mangini recently tore down a "Browns Legends" mural in the Browns practice facility. The mural had pictures of former players like, Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Lou Groza, Dante Lavelli, and others. The mural used to be placed over the entrance where the current players entered the Berea practice facility.

There are a lot of people who are outraged over this controversial move. Wasn't it just a few short weeks ago that Mangini was applauding the history of the Cleveland Browns?

While officially accepting the Browns coaching position he was even quoted as saying the Browns had one of the most "storied franchises in NFL history".

So why tear down a great symbol of a past like this?

I have to say, I understand why Eric Mangini did what he did. While I think it may be a little premature, he's is trying to make a statement from the beginning of his tenure. Starting in 2009 the Cleveland Browns will make a new history.

Players and coaches for the past 40 plus years have been trying to live up to the glory days of the 1940s, 50s, and 60s, and as the years go on, it's gets even harder. The Browns have always been connected deeply to their past, but has it been debilitating?

I don't think Mangini wants to disregard the great tradition of the Cleveland Browns. He seems to be a smart guy who knows his football history. I think he wants to send a rattling message.

Where the mural used to hang now is painted over with fresh white paint. When the 2009 Cleveland Browns walk into the practice facility they will only have themselves to look at. They alone will have the responsibility of creating a new competitive franchise that could make it's own mark on NFL history.

It's a bold move by Mangini that some people don't think he has earned the right to make. I'm mean the guy walks into to town and tears down a mural with Jim Brown and other Browns legends?

Do you think John Gruden, Mike Shanahan, or even Herm Edwards would have torn this mural down if they where the head coach for the Cleveland Browns?

Yet, if Mangini can put his money where his mouth is and put Cleveland back on the map, then he may have created a new spot for himself in Cleveland Browns history.

The coach that resurrected the Cleveland Browns.

this looks to be the mural

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

View PostMangini is a tool.

Jim Brown may have been a good football player back then but now nuttin but a Big Racist

Jim Brown was a bit better than "may have been a good football player back then". As for his being a racist now, that has nothing to do with Mangenius's actions. Obviously, Mangini doesn't care what anyone thinks, he try's to be Belichick, cept' Belichick's got a handful of rings and he wrote the book on being a loner and prick.

I thought he was the Jets answer, and after his first year it was clear his way would be the only way, well, that didn't work out so well, Looks like he's getting an early start on getting himself on the wrong side of the road.

View PostObviously, Mangini doesn't care what anyone thinks, he try's to be Belichick, cept' Belichick's got a handful of rings and he wrote the book on being a loner and prick.

i agree. except the only thing bellicheat has is this:

tom-brady-patriots.jpg

Mangina has no passion. He just doesn't have enough drive and enough kick ass attitude. plus his clock management and play calling suck.

example: 4th and goal and you don't go for it??? sissy assmad.gif