Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bamaboy

Surf Rod Recommendation

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Have not purchased a new surf rod in several years but gonna break down and get one this spring. Looking for a spinner for general light plugging .... swimmers, needles, poppers, bombers ...... 3/4 oz to maybe 2 1/2 oz. Need a two piece as I will be traveling with the rod. Not where I can try anything so I will be ordering blind. Cost, within reason, is not a huge consideration. Considering a few lamiglass models ... arra 1203-2, 1205-2 AND 1321-2. Of these I would likely pick the 1203-2 but would really appreciate some imput. Also thought about the super surf SS9MS. Again would really appreciate any input.

Hello! If you want something somewhat on the "cheaper side" I'd recommend St. Croix's, starting with the triumph series (cheapest) to the avids(expensive). They're all very well built rods, I have a 9' triumph and love it. If you want to shell out big bucks, they make the legend surf series ($300-450ish) but I've never tried them.

I myself would by a 1-4oz,that covers all your weights with out over load it 2 1/2 to 3 1/4,I think would be the sweet spot, for pluging and slinging eels

just my 2cent worth....g-l on your surch....Jim

1084 2 ...great for the plugs you mentioned. Sluggos & eels too. I fish bombers a lot & it does the job very well.

Been a while since I bought mine but Im guessing you can get one new for around 2 bills...rated 1-4.

st croix triumph,10 ft 2 piece will do what you want . no chunking. some small baits and weight 3 0z. sweet rod for the money not much in that class and a 5 year warranty . i have for 3 years and perfect . i dont fish everyday but quite a bit so it is used

I think the Arra 1084-2 is a good suggestion.

If you want to hold the price down a bit look at the Tsunami Airwave and Tica Dolphin and St. Croix Triumph 9 footers. All nice little plugging sticks around 100 bucks.

I find the ratings on most rods to be hit or miss. Don't forget that the marketing department at most rod manufacturers gets a say in those ratings. If you rated a rod from 2-2.5oz it probably wouldn't sell the best, even if that was the truth.

View PostI find the ratings on most rods to be hit or miss. Don't forget that the marketing department at most rod manufacturers gets a say in those ratings. If you rated a rod from 2-2.5oz it probably wouldn't sell the best, even if that was the truth.

This has certainly been my experience. That is why I was looking for feedback from those who had actually used the rods. I would like nothing better than to give them all a try before deciding but that is not in the cards. Again, thanks for the help.

Tom

G.Loomis SUR1264S Surf Rod

I have one and love it.10 6 light as a feather.Can toss lures in your range to the moon.1/2 to 3 it's rated for.Great rod and probably the last you'll ever need unless you believe the hype and need the new stuff.If it breaks for any reason 50 bucks and a new one is on the way.Black Matte so it's not high maintenance and shiny.If your looking for a shorter rod I had a 1084 arra and it was nice for the light stuff but the 1-4 ratings were a bit off on the high end.I'd almost give it a 3/4 to 2 3/4.Good luck on your search and be sure to let us know your decision.If your only looking to spend a hundred bucks I'd go with the Tsunami Airwave 9fter.I had one and loved it also.The ratings on that rod were true for me.

View Postst croix triumph,10 ft 2 piece will do what you want . no chunking. some small baits and weight 3 0z. sweet rod for the money not much in that class and a 5 year warranty . i have for 3 years and perfect . i dont fish everyday but quite a bit so it is used

Another vote for St Croix. I have a 10" Premier casting (3/4 to 4 oz). It is my go to rod.

View PostAnother vote for St Croix. I have a 10" Premier casting (3/4 to 4 oz). It is my go to rod.

Another vote for St Croix, I have the 8'6" and 10' Premier Spin - great rods.